Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-12-2010, 11:57 PM   #11 
brancasterr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narnian View Post
It looks really nice! :) I like the pretty green gravel tones and the way you arranged everything. My dad used to have hornwort in his goldfish tank.....it was annoying and shed everywhere! LOL! It looks nice though.
Thanks. :) And yeah, it did shed at first but after I got all that cleaned up it didn't shed anymore. :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittles View Post
That's a swish piece of driftwood you got there. I also like the plants you've planted. So lush. I wonder if your betta would nest itself in there, heh. One concern is with the filter - it looks like you could fill the tank with another inch of water to lessen the out-pour and surface disruption.

Are you planning on introducing any other species of fish?
That driftwood was only 5 dollars! Wooo! Yeah, I plan on raising the water level once I finish cycling. I just want the water flow to be as strong as possible during. (no betta of course) Also, I do plan on introducing a few other species of fish. Just haven't decided which. Any suggestions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloo97 View Post
Nice!
Do you have any snails, shrimp, or other fish in there?
No fish in there yet, it hasn't been cycled yet. But once it's cycled I'm putting my betta, a few other fish, and probably some snails in. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily View Post
It looks very nice! You'll have to get us some more pictures once you finish cycling and get your fish in there. I'm sure they'll love it.
Will do and I hope so. :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbright View Post
Very pretty and nicely decorated!! My friend just got a 10 gallon betta tank and doesn't know what to do with it since there's so much space! Haha ^_^ I'll show this to her!
Yeah, I was a bit concerned about the size as well but once I got the stuff in there it worked out nicely. I would recommend a nice piece of wood to put in the middle. It takes up a substantial amount of space and looks nice. :) Tell her I said good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxabc View Post
It's so pretty! Nice job :) The betta is going to be one happy little critter. When time comes, choose well. Good luck with cycling!!

I hope he is! As well as the other fish I put in.
brancasterr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 12:01 AM   #12 
Hadouken441

Thank you for going Live plants. The Back left is Anacharis :D

Hornwort literally grows like a weed! But thats not a bad thing. If you want to trim it you can either cut it where you want and from the cut it branches out more shoots, or you can but the top half, throw away the bottom and plant the top. (Takes too long haha) I just cut where I want.
Hadouken441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 12:06 AM   #13 
brancasterr

Thats what it is, Anacharis! Thank you. :)

The hornwort was about twice that size when I bought it, I just trimmed it. :P Would you say I have an adequate amount of plants?
Old 04-13-2010, 12:13 AM   #14 
Hadouken441

For sure. More plants the merrier but dont wanna go crazy then all this maintenace starts happening haha. Everything looks great.

Oh a little tid bit on that hornwort is that plant also acts as a filter. In collects a lot of extra nutrients in the water.
Old 04-13-2010, 12:23 AM   #15 
brancasterr

Thats good to know! It won't suck out all the good nutrients the fish needs will it?
Old 04-13-2010, 12:33 AM   #16 
Hadouken441

Nah. Just like excess of whatever. If you want to start growing a little more demanding plants, the hornworts gotta go. It will use up too much of everything
Old 04-13-2010, 01:36 AM   #17 
Kittles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadouken441 View Post
Nah. Just like excess of whatever. If you want to start growing a little more demanding plants, the hornworts gotta go. It will use up too much of everything
The voice of God.

In response to the inquiry of possible fish additions: I do love me some cory cats. The ones I've added to my 10G are so energetic and interesting to watch. And of course, any shrimp you can find (that aren't ghost shrimp) are a must! ...And any you don't want can be sent my way. :>
Kittles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 07:01 AM   #18 
brancasterr

Cory cats aren't too energetic for the betta? Also, I was thinking about some small danios or neos. Will those work okay in a tank with a betta?
Old 04-13-2010, 09:58 AM   #19 
dramaqueen
Banned

A lot of people keep cories with their bettas and they get along fine.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 06:09 PM   #20 
xxabc

Cory cats seem to have a good reputation with betta tankmates. But you always have to be careful.

Also brancasterr, if you're going to add in new fish, I think it's advised to add in the other fish FIRST, then betta last, so the betta doesn't have time to claim territory.

And driftwood for $5?? Hmph. :)
xxabc is offline   Reply With Quote