Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-12-2010, 03:34 PM   #11 
puppyrjjkm

I have a 5 gallon tank that is pretty easy, but only for a betta and a couple shrimp, I just hate doing water changes on it. It seems too small to use a gravel vac so I just do water changes, then once a month do a 100% water change and clean gravel. So if your only options are between the 2 gallon and 5, definetly get the 5. I wouldn't get a hex either, I have one and I like my "rectangle" tank better. I got my 5 gallon at Walmart for $28. It came with the tank, hood with lights, filter, and filter pads. Just buy a heater and some decor and you're set! Good luck :) And let us know what you decide!
puppyrjjkm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 03:40 PM   #12 
CodeRed

Oh yeah, that reminds me. We want pictures when you're done! I LOVE looking at completed tanks (: Most of the time they just look so... complete... ish? lol. I'm bad at explaining it, but I love seeing the different tanks.
CodeRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 04:20 PM   #13 
vaygirl

I hate, hate, hate my 5 gallon hex. I have three other rectangular tanks that I love. The Eclipse hex was cute when I first got it. Now I wish I'd sprung for a 6 gallon eclipse like the one I have Nugget in.

I have a bad diatom problem in every tank in my house and it's impossible to get the gunk out of the corners in that 5 gallon hex (my tank is cycled). It's hard to fit decor in there sensibly because of it's hex shape. If I had to do it again, I'd rather have a longer vs. taller tank. Most of the top space is wasted and the plants and driftwood I have in there looks crammed. There's just not enough 'floor space'. It's hard to vacuum. You have to take the whole lid off and that includes the light. Then you can't see to vacuum properly. I could go on but I think you get the sense that I hate it. :D
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 04:25 PM   #14 
Narnian

Hmm, I think it does really narrow down to personal preference, as I've heard many rave reviews on the hex tank. (and yes, I PROMISE to post pics when it's done, CodeRed. I already have the decor, color scheme, and arrangement figured out in my head. It's going to be a long time before having enough money to buy all this stuff though. Ugh.

Here's the deal with wanting taller vs. longer (usually I opt the other way around, especially for a hamster). As mentioned in my previous posts, rectangle tanks remind me too much of hamster cages. I just don't like them for a fish tank. Sorry.
PLUS the unit I'm putting it on has other nick-nacks I'm trying to display, so to get a longer tank means it would take up too much room on the top unit. If I HAD to get a different style then a hex, I'd go with bow front.

I'm going to take a picture of the unit to show you what I mean. Brb!
Narnian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 07:37 PM   #15 
Narnian

Ok, here is the unit. It's one of those cabinets you have, in the bathroom, that the sink goes in it and there are cupboards underneath. We bought it at Goodwill and it didn't come with a top, so we just got a piece of wood from the hardware store to use as the top. I am afraid it wouldn't be strong enough to hold more then a 5 gallon tank, and since my dog sleeps underneath (yes, in the cabinet haha! She loves it. It's equipped with special smiley push lights and everything............ok, getting WAYYYYYY off topic), I absolutely do NOT want to even risk putting a 10 gallon on top to cave in on her.

As you can see, I'd like to add a bit of height to the corner, which makes a hexagon tank perfect! (either a 2 or 5 gallon). The bubblegum machine will move, but the dog treat jar and photo frames are staying. I had also considered the 5 gallon corner eclipse, and haven't ruled that out completely. I just don't necessarily want to be stuck with something that only looks good in a corner, ya know?

Last edited by Narnian; 04-12-2010 at 07:40 PM.
Old 04-14-2010, 03:54 PM   #16 
Narnian

*comes bouncing in*

Guess what guess what? I went to a bunch of stores today and have decided, for sure, on the 5 gallon hex tank. It's a perfect size. :) And oh man, they had so many lovely bettas on display, I can't wait to pick one out once I buy everything and set it up!