Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-14-2010, 03:10 AM   #1 
Apriles

Brought Our First Betta Home

Well the tank has been set up for over a week and has been coming along better than I would have expected.

So today was the day that my daughter and I were going to pick out her first pet! It was very exciting.

After much deliberation she picked out a beautiful little guy:

I think she really picked out the nicest one. I love how many colors he's got going on. She named him "Many Names". I have no idea either...she's almost 5...it's hard to tell where these things come from.

Here are a couple more pics:

Many Names checking out his plants:

My daughter though he needed a friend (don't worry this was Mom approved):

Many Names is super fast!:

Sorry that the picture quality isn't the best. I had to use my camera phone since my regular camera's batteries died. Before it went I was trying to take a pic or two of the whole tank set up...I have no idea how so many of you take such great pics of your tanks! It's hard!
Apriles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 06:16 AM   #2 
bloo97

Nice! I think I have that tank...or atleast the filter. (:
bloo97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 07:30 AM   #3 
Arrunus

That's a pretty fish! A lot of colors, and so cute!
Arrunus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 03:39 PM   #4 
iamtetsuo

Oh wow amazing colors! And chances are now that he's in a good sized tank and receiving proper care and food the colors will become even more vibrant!

When I take photos of my tank I use a Canon Digital Rebel XTi with a 50mm lens set to F1.8, I use the tank lighting with no flash. You can still take great photos even if you don't have a Digital SLR camera though. First step is to turn off all of the lights in the room so that no light will reflect off of the tank. Then turn on the tank light. Set your camera to portrait mode, and disable the flash (flash will just reflect off of the tank). If portrait mode isn't working perhaps try macro mode if your camera has that option. Get as close to the tank as you can.

Viola!

iamtetsuo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 05:33 PM   #5 
xxabc

Is his friend... a real fish?? Lol, it took me by surprise!! It looks cute, haha. And so does "Many Names", he's gorgeous! The tank looks lovely. How big is it? And I'd LOVE a full tank shot :)
xxabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 09:52 PM   #6 
Apriles

That is really great tank photography advice iamtetsuo. Thank you so much for posting that info. :)

I didn't even think to turn off the lights in the room...but that totally made sense once you mentioned it. I'll try out your tips later tonight and see if I can get a better pic.
Old 04-14-2010, 09:55 PM   #7 
Apriles

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxabc View Post
Is his friend... a real fish?? Lol, it took me by surprise!! It looks cute, haha. And so does "Many Names", he's gorgeous! The tank looks lovely. How big is it? And I'd LOVE a full tank shot :)

His "friend" is a rubber toy fish that I had bought years ago to use as a bathroom decoration. My daughter found it and decided that it needed to go in the tank (this was when we were just getting it set up) so that "Our new fish will have a friend. So he doesn't get lonely." Funny kid.

So we made sure to clean it and I also made sure that she understood that NOTHING goes in the tank without approval from Mom first!
Old 04-15-2010, 08:15 AM   #8 
BettaxFishxCrazy

He's very pretty. Great tank setup! I thought the goldfish was real at first too.haha That's great that you let your child have a pet. I grew up always having an animal and I feel bad for the kids that their parents don't let them have pets. It gives them responsibility and someone to talk to if they're having a bad day. Yes, I did and still do talk to my dogs about my day, if I have a rough day and I don't want to talk to my family about it.lol I used to talk to my horse all the time and my friends would pass by his stall and be like "Who are you talking to?" and I'd say my horse and they'd laugh.lol
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote