Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-21-2013, 02:39 AM   #11 
Aquatail

Make sure it's pure and unscented Epsom salt. :)

What I do is take some water out of the tank and pre dissolve 1-3 teaspoons of salt per gallon of tank water (in the tank, not the cup) in that. Then when that's fully dissolved I start pouring a bit in every 10 minutes or so until it's all gone. I'd start at 1tsp per gallon.

Also, you may want to take a look at the label for the food you feed. Brands with more fillers can cause issues like bloating, constipation and swim bladder in some bettas.

You mentioned yesterday that he was having trouble reaching the surface for air? If he's still having trouble you can lower the water level.

Last edited by Aquatail; 12-21-2013 at 02:41 AM.
Aquatail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 10:51 AM   #12 
Hallyx
Reference Team

One 100% water change a week is not enough for a 2g tank. At least two 50% changes with Prime is better. Three per week is not too many, especially if he has issues. Two drops of Prime per gallon of tank size every other day will keep ammonia down. Same dose with every water change.

Betta will spit out unfamiliar food. Like kids, they must be taught to eat their nutritious foods. Keep feeding him NLS Betta or Omega One Betta Buffet pellets until he learns to eat them. He'll be better off in the long run. High-quality food also helps with swim bladder/constipation issues.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 04:17 PM   #13 
WorriedFishMom

I was starting to worry about changing it too often, and I really didn't think that once a week was too often! Teddy's tank always looks pretty clean and clear even when I do change out the water. And the swim bladder or constipation issues started after I was treating him with aquarium salts in the small quarantine tank for fin rot, with daily 100% changes.
Teddy has now been in an Epsom salt bath for about 36 hours, and doesn't look much, if any, improved. How often should I be changing that water? Should it also be daily, like when I was working on the fin rot (which, by the way, looks so much better. I can already see some fin re-growth.).

How long should I fast Teddy? I also read that's something I can try... Or is it too much in conjunction with the Epsom salts? Teddy hasn't eaten in days, and I know that can't be fun at all. I was worried so I gave him one flake and a freeze dried shrimp bit today, but I can take it out if he hasn't already devoured them. Poor fishy, he loves to eat. This must really suck. At the very least I can say that the Anubis plant is a comfort, because I find him resting on the leaves near the surface often. I think he can breathe easier there.

Sorry about all of my long replies, but I'm super fond of the tiny fish, and I hate that he seems runty and sickly. Or, if just a small female, still sickly. I try to do everything right. My apartment has been unbearably warm lately because there isn't a heater in the quarantine tank, and I don't want the water to be too cold. Houston doesn't get that cold, and it's been warmer in my apartment than outside on recent warm days when it's nearly 80...
Ok, I will stop giving out random information, and try to switch Teddy to pellets. Are Hikari brand ok, or should I invest in another? If there is a smaller option that might be good, too.

Thanks so much everyone!!!
Posted via Mobile Device
WorriedFishMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 04:38 PM   #14 
Aquatail

Even if it looks clean, a lot of ammonia could still be present in the water. The Aquarium salt may have contributed to the swim bladder because it increases fluid retention.

You said he hasn't eaten in days, but will he eat if you give him something? If just Epsom salt and fasting isn't working, you can also try feeding him some daphnia, which also has a laxative effect. However, Epsom salt and daphnia shouldn't be used at the same time since they both have laxative effects and together they could cause dehydration.

Hikari is better than some other foods, I believe, but it does have more fillers than New Life Spectrum or Omega One. I actually feed Hikari and have had no problems with it, but for a betta that has had issues with swim bladder, constipation and bloat in the past, I would get New Life Spectrum or Omega One.
Old 12-23-2013, 02:21 PM   #15 
Hallyx
Reference Team

I agree with Aquatail, especially regarding a food upgrade.

You can give him ES treatment in his heated display tank. ES doesn't harm plants.

Don't worry about his not eating. When he feels better, he'll eat. Worry after two weeks or so.
Old 12-24-2013, 09:14 PM   #16 
WorriedFishMom

Teddy hasn't been eating/won't eat, and he isn't responding to the Epsom salt treatment. I noticed today that the box for the Jungle Fungus Clear says it helps treat swim bladder issues (I bought it in case the fin rot got really out of control). If Teddy continues to not respond to the salt bath treatment, should I step things up to that medicine? I am so worried about him! He just floats on his side at the top, or on top of a leaf at the top, partially out of the water.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-24-2013, 10:24 PM   #17 
Aquatail

How much Epsom salt are you using? If he isn't responding to the current dosage and he won't eat maybe you should try a little more. I'm not sure how the medication would help Swim Bladder. Also, you said bath, are you only giving him a short bath or is it in his tank?
Old 12-25-2013, 12:52 AM   #18 
WorriedFishMom

Sorry about the misleading bath comment. Teddy's tank is currently filled with Epsom salt water. He has been in it for a while, completely non-responsive. I have prepared some new water, and plan on upping the dosage to two teaspoons per gallon. But I was thinking that if an increase doesn't trigger a change at some point, a different approach might be helpful. I hate watching my once curious and active fish lethargically float on his side at the top of the water, refusing to eat. Mr. Salad can't be comfortable, if not in outright mental panic and pain.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-25-2013, 01:33 AM   #19 
Aquatail

Yeah, I'd try a stronger dosage. If that doesn't work though, I'm not sure which medication may be good to try...
Old 12-25-2013, 03:45 PM   #20 
Hallyx
Reference Team

If you can coax him to eat, you can try frozen daphnia or brine shrimp as roughage/laxative.

At this point I think you should post on the "Diseases..." section. There are members there who are very knowledgeable about this stuff.

Tags
fin rot, fungus, help!, illness, sick