Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-15-2010, 02:06 PM   #1 
Narnian

Acrylic algae cleaner pads

So I'll be getting an acrylic hexagon tank, and need something safe to clean the algae off that WON'T scratch.

I've seen magnets for acrylic and also those acrylic cleaner pads (but if you ask me, they sure seem ROUGH like they would scratch!!). Which would you suggest?

And if I use a soft, clean handkerchief to wipe the outside, would that be ok?
Narnian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 05:40 PM   #2 
Kittles

I first used a paper towel to clean the inside of my tank and just ran it across the glass. I got tired of this, though, and decided to use a toothbrush. It may be more tedious, but overall it's easier and more precise.

As for cleaning the outside, you should be able to use whatever you want. If you're using a spray, such as Windex, be sure to spray it on whatever you're using to clean the tank with first and not directly on the tank itself. You don't want any chemicals making their way into your water.
Kittles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 06:44 PM   #3 
Narnian

Uh.....so a toothbrush doesn't scratch it? :-O Wow! Thanks for the info. Yeah, definitely will be careful about chemical sprays.
Old 04-15-2010, 07:28 PM   #4 
Kittles

Wow, I was focusing entirely on the method and not the effects on the tank itself. I have a glass 10 gallon tank, so obviously it will not be scratched by a toothbrush. As for your acrylic, I guess the methods I use wouldn't carry over so well.

I'm not familiar with the acrylic cleaning pads you've mentioned, but if you're wary of them it's probably best to stay away. What about just a regular sponge pad? Like a kitchen sponge, but larger for more coverage and without the abrasive padding on the backside.

Guess I'm not so much help, but that's my fault for misreading your post.
Kittles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 12:11 PM   #5 
Narnian

That's alright kittles! :) It seems that the majority of people have acrylic, so I'm not sure why anyone hasn't replied with their method yet. Glass is, by far, easier to clean.......but I can't find any small hexagons in glass. :(

Tags
acrylic, cleaning