Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-16-2010, 11:09 AM   #1 
Welsh

SOS - Stressed Out Starter !!

I know im going a bit crazy with the threads peeps but I'm stressed out !!

OK. So I've done continuous research for the last 2-3 weeks but apparently this isnt enough. Browsing the forum for help I have come across some stressful revelations.

These would be;

Dechlorinators
PH tests
Fish Medicines.

I did think I knew enough about fish to go out get and get me a tank but now I'm freaking out, especially with the cycling process. I added the bacteria stuff that came with my tank but is this enough? do I need to do water changes even though I dont have any fish in there? is there a way to speed the process up?

I haven't got a testing kit because the assistant at the store told me to bring in a sample in 10-14 days so I wouldnt need one, but now looking through the threads everyone seems to be testing their water daily and what not.

I did not know fish "accessories" could be so expensive either so my question is. . . What do I need for fish to be happy? by this I dont mean tunnels and plants,etc I mean stuff I'm going to need for their own safety lol

Its a 60 litre btw so whats that . . . . 13 Gallons (UK)

Sorry to bombard you with my continuous questions lol =)
Welsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 12:42 PM   #2 
Mister Sparkle

The dechlorinator and the water testing kit are the two best things you can do for your fish's safety. If the bacteria you got with your aquarium is any good, it'll just establish the beginning of a colony to process fish waste. The test kit will help you monitor those wastes. I don't personally feel like depending on a pet store to do that for me. If there's chlorine in your water, it can kill a fish in short time.

Yes, you will need to perform partial water changes on a regular basis WHEN YOU GET FISH. I recommend doing them frequently when you first put fish in your aquarium. Heck, I do them frequently even after cycling. But many successful keepers perform a 50% change once a week in an established aquarium (I'm admittedly a bit OCD when it comes to my water changes). With 60L to work with, once a week changes and testing AFTER CYCLING should be enough. While you are trying to monitor the cycle, you should test more frequently...if you have fish in there while you do it, I recommend daily water changes of about 20%. However, if there's no fish in the aquarium you don't have to do a change until before you add a fish. But I would still test the water at that time to make sure you aren't adding him to a toxic wonderland!
Mister Sparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 01:03 PM   #3 
Welsh

OK. So my tank has no fish atm I'm waiting very patiently for the cycle to finish (its only Day 2.lol.)

If I have understood correctly, I do a 50% change weekly obviously adding dechlorinating stuff to the water. I leave the fish in the tank right? lol

To dechlorinate the water should I use Tetra Aquasafe? I was just looking at a testing kit by Tetra heres the link

http://www.charterhouse-aquatics.co....st-p-1084.html

Would be that be any good?

I'm really sorry to be a pain in the butt with my many questions lol

Thanks =)
Old 04-16-2010, 01:24 PM   #4 
Mister Sparkle

Yes, you can leave the fish in when you do a water change. Try not to pour new water in too quickly, though...bettas don't like to be buffeted with a huge dump of water.

That test kit is OK...but you'll also need to get the ammonia tester too, also available thru the site you linked to. I haven't used the Tetra kit, so I can't tell you anything about its accuracy or ease of use. The Tetra water conditioner ought to be just fine, too.

You aren't a pain...no worries!
Old 04-16-2010, 01:26 PM   #5 
Welsh

Lol. Thank you, you have been a really big help =)
Old 04-16-2010, 01:29 PM   #6 
kuklachica

You need to "Feed" the bacteria by adding ammonia in some form. The bacteria cannot grow or establish itself without the food it feeds on. You can either add bottled ammonia, add food, or add fish. Google "cycling aquarium" and you can find various methods to do this. But adding the bacterial product doesn't do anything without giving it the food to survive on.
kuklachica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 01:31 PM   #7 
Welsh

I did add that bacteria stuff that comes with the tank.
Old 04-16-2010, 01:42 PM   #8 
Mister Sparkle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welsh View Post
I did add that bacteria stuff that comes with the tank.
What she's saying is that bacteria you added needs some ammonia to "feed on." Since you're dealing with a 60L aquarium, I'd say to go ahead and get a fish once you get those supplies we discussed. Lots of people prefer the fishless cycle, so it's up to you. But if you want to go fishless, she's right in that you need to get your ammonia levels to rise so the bacteria you added will reproduce to "eat it". Either way, wait until you have your testing supplies.
Old 04-16-2010, 01:45 PM   #9 
Welsh

Ahh I see what you mean. I think I'll continue with the fishless cycle, I don't trust myself enough to keep them alive at the moment lol So adding fish food adds bacteria?

Thank yoou =)
Old 04-16-2010, 01:50 PM   #10 
Mister Sparkle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welsh View Post
So adding fish food adds bacteria?
No...the fish food will rot, and create a source of ammonia.