Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-16-2010, 01:35 PM   #11 
Kittles

Nothing should happen. At all. Might find it more comforting to sand the sharper edges down should they become exposed for any reason. That, or supply it with a good amount of substrate so it can be buried substantially.

I'm not sure about in the UK, but most pet stores here in America will test your water parameters for free (or a small fee) if you bring them a sample. Might benefit you to look into that if you need this done before you're able to buy your own kit.
Kittles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 01:39 PM   #12 
Welsh

Actually the pet store person told me to bring the water in for them to test in 14 days time, thats the reason why I didnt buy a kit cause they told me I didnt need one.

Im trusting you now kittles if my fish die when they arrive im holding you responsible :p it wont be the simple fact that I didnt test my water it'll be you :P

Might sand it actually just encase I stab one of my fish lol can you imagine what the blood would do to my water lol. I didnt think about sanding should have paid attention at school maybe I wouldnt be this dumb lmao.
Welsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 01:50 PM   #13 
Tinthalas Tigris

Clay pot is fine. most of us on this forum use them for decoration and hide spots.

I recommend sanding the jagged edges, and leaving no holes exposed (such as the drainage hole on the very bottom). Bettas are remarkably curious creatures and have a knack for getting themselves stuck in places they shouldn't. They don't have a cat's whiskers to let them know what they can get in and out of.

You also do not need to do any water changes while you remain fishless. But if you'd like to get into the habit of things, a 10% water change every three days won't negatively affect your water chemistry.

Just MAKE sure that all the water you change is dechlorinated, otherwise you will kill your beneficial bacteria that you want to harvest during this break-in cycling period.
Tinthalas Tigris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 01:54 PM   #14 
Welsh

Originally the pot was rectangular and I smashed it this morning for the corner edge so it doesnt have a hole its just a small part of the pot. As its been outside for years I was sceptical to add it to the tank until I got feedback from on here and apart from the jagged edges if you guys say its cool to add then i'll add it I think it will look pretty cool lol

Thanks =)
Old 04-16-2010, 03:14 PM   #15 
Tinthalas Tigris

it is always wide to boil anything you put in your tank. Several times at best. This allows it to cool and leach out any toxins (fertilizers) that might be in it.

3 complete boils should be good.
Tinthalas Tigris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 03:21 PM   #16 
Welsh

Thank you =) I'v added it and it looks rather cool lol