Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-17-2010, 01:11 AM   #11 
Kittles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Sparkle View Post
Ah, hell! Java moss/fern aren't going to root in your substrate anyway! Root them into a piece of driftwood, and you can remove it or clean around it at will!
Or this.

Also, Hadouken. That blew my mind. So amazing. So lush. So small.
Kittles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 02:00 AM   #12 
Tinthalas Tigris

Warning warning warning dialup beware

I chose to jump start my cycle for this tank and put the gravel from my other tank into punctured plastic bags. That is what you see on the shale on the far left.

I still have a little work to do, once I get my short grasses it'll start to look filled out.

I took shots from all over the aquarium. THe first and last shots are from the very front of the tank. Reference data is from the front of the tank.

Far left, Shale, Slate and Granite. I got all these rocks for less than 10 dollars. Amazing LFS that is around the corner to a restaurant I've gone to for years but never knew it was there. Wonderful prices, and great selection of just what I wanted in rocks.

Moving Right, Vallis plants. Nice background plants. Also from the LFS, each of the two plants had 4 babies on them, so for 2 dollars I got virtually 10 background plants. Amazon Swords and Ludwigia also in the back.

Cardinal Plants in the mid ground, just behind the Mopani driftwood. These Cardinal Plants were actually a non aquatic plant, but were recently tested in ponds, and it turns out they have a completely aquatic mode to them that looks like a completely different plant. Wonderful purples to them.

I have Myrphillium Red on the right front. Beautiful fluffy plant, among scattered ludwigia.

On the Mopani driftwood is tied java moss and java ferns on each of the extremeties.

I'm going to have to go back throuhg the java moss and make it thinner. This is the first time i've planted java moss, and it turns out you have to put very small amounts at first, otherwise it won't take.
Tinthalas Tigris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 02:05 AM   #13 
Kittles

Are you kidding me? That entire tank is impressive, but what hit me the most were the terracotta steps. Like, for real? That's insane.

Can't wait to see that fill out. As it is, there's really no height to the tank. Regardless, it's amazing. I want layers in my tank, now. Different levels and such. /me is self-conscious.

Last edited by Kittles; 04-17-2010 at 02:10 AM.
Kittles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 02:20 AM   #14 
Tinthalas Tigris

Sorry for the HUGE photos guys. I had to take them with my webcam, and I don't have photoshop on this computer.
Old 04-17-2010, 03:07 AM   #15 
Tinthalas Tigris

Thank you so much for your warm compliments, Kittles. I was very blessed in this endeavor, and the entire setup, including the aquarium and stand cost me less than $100.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittles View Post
As it is, there's really no height to the tank.
RIGHT YOU ARE!

I am sorting out a couple floating plant options to put right above the shale. This will block out the heater and the filter intake from sight, and the plants on the right will still get plenty of light.Currently I am considering Riccia.

As I mentioned my King Betta diving into the cup to play in the java moss, and the others playing among the plants while they floated up top, I realized a beautiful, bountiful, bubbly ball of GREEENS was what I needed, right above the shale, so that it would not block out any light.

For anyone who thinks that an aquarium is a "cheaper", or "cornier" and aless rewarding alternative to 4 legged pet options, really has not been witness to the warming sensation in actually seeing a betta's mood change WILDLY at just its owner's presence in the room.

These fish are remarkable, and they deserve every bit of attention that we as owners on this forum provide them by inquiring about additional information regarding them.
Old 04-17-2010, 06:13 AM   #16 
willow

what a lovely tank,i think you've done a fantastic job.
willow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 02:59 PM   #17 
Tinman23

That is so cool!
Tinman23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 06:57 PM   #18 
anmgemini

I have a house ivy on the top of my beta jar. I think he loves it because he hides in the roots and plays hide and seek with me. My question is about the plant cleaning the water. I still plan on cleaning the water frequently but i heard that if you have a plant( such as this) it filters the water for you. I was told that I would have to change the water less frequently. Is this correct?
anmgemini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 07:37 PM   #19 
Mister Sparkle

You still want to change the water in that jar very frequently. Also, the reason I don't like that setup is that the roots from your plant could very well prevent your betta from reaching the surface of the water. Bettas need to be able to breathe at the surface once in a while.
Mister Sparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 04:03 AM   #20 
Tinthalas Tigris

The beginner's forum here on bettafish.com has a couple threads "Stickied" to the top of the forum.

They detail the misconceptions about the ever popular "betta bowl" of the early 2000s and late 90s; one of which is that a happy betta is a betta in a bowl with a plant on top of it, because the betta eats the roots, and the plant filters the water and uses the poop as fertilizer.

This is not the case by far.

You can have plants above your betta, in fact, they love lillypad type plants, because they are naturally the type of plant they will make their bubble nests under. Their natural predators in the wild, some being birds, have a harder time noticing them if they are hidden under these lilypad type plants (normally frogbit, water lettuce, and the like).

You still need to change your bettas water. ANy unfiltered tank needs to have its water changed by at least 50% every other day. YOu can go longer, but it is really unkind to the betta.

Better yet, get your betta a nice filtered aquarium setup, put those floating plants in front of the filter (they lessen the disturbance that the filter causes, also known as the current) and you only need to change the water (After it is cycled) about once a week in much smaller amounts.

Best of luck to your setup.