Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-14-2010, 08:29 PM   #11 
FuulieQ

It does look like ick. :(

I can't believe they don't have aquarium salt!! Are you sure you looked in the right places? That's a really basic thing to have!! O_o
FuulieQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 08:45 PM   #12 
tahbi

I'm pretty sure I looked. :( I looked at the aquarium section, the betta section, and then I found another medicine section but there was nothing. If my gramma goes to walmart I'll get her to take me there and see if they have it.
tahbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 10:53 AM   #13 
zoragen

I'd get the salt.

My guy was looking bad last night & this morning - but did get him to eat.

I put the filter back in to clear the med & will do a 50% WC tonight & up the salt.

I've now read that about 2 teaspoons per gal is good & I've been using 1/2 teaspoon per gal.

While the tank is a 6 gal eclipse - it has about 4 gal of water (substrate, plants & decorations take up 2 gal) & when dosing anything you should be pretty sure of the real amount of water.

Good luck!

Fingers cross they both make it!
zoragen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 07:59 PM   #14 
bloo97

Fingers Crossed! Hope they Get Better Both of you!
Y'all (God, I've got to stop that! The South/East isnt good to me. Ugh...) are doing good as far as I can hear. (:

Y'all? Ugh...
bloo97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 08:05 PM   #15 
zoragen

I did a 50% WC tonight - upped the salt to 1 teaspoon & added a little black water extract.

He's swimming better & slightly more active but still lot's of spots.

I also switched to Prime for my water treatment.

I'm going to add more salt tomorrow & then all I can do is wait.
Old 04-15-2010, 09:17 PM   #16 
tahbi

I did some math, not sure if it's right though.

On Wikianswers someone said 128 ounces are in a gallon. so i multiplied 128 by 10 (gallons) and got some big number that i divided by 16 (16 fl. oz. per drop of medication) and that came to 80 drops for 10 gallons. I definitely don't have enough medicine, if I did the math right, so I'm gonna have to wait until my gramma goes to walmart to see if they have the salt. If not, I'm out of luck. :( I added 10 drops of the Betta Revive anyway in hopes that it might work. I've also discovered that's what makes the water look blue in their little cups at the pet stores. :P

But my betta and the other fish are doing fine except for the CAE. Orphan still has white dots on him but not many, and they disappear and reappear on other places on him everyday, but always in small amounts. The CAE has been swimming around really weirdly lately. I'm probably going to do a water change tomorrow or saturday (just need water). Does anyone know if kentwood spring water that comes in the giant blue-clearish jugs is okay to use?

Off topic: I bought a new betta! I'll post pics of him soon. Right now he's shy. :)
Old 04-16-2010, 10:41 AM   #17 
zoragen

I know some people use spring water in their tanks. It just expensive. It's much cheaper to use something like Prime (it gets ammonia out also) or another water treatment. I've also used Aquasafe.

Fins is hanging in there - but still very sick.
Old 04-16-2010, 05:25 PM   #18 
tahbi

Good luck with Fins, zoragen!

And thanks. :) I'll probably start using some tap water (I'll let it sit out for 24 hours and also treat it) because it's free, basically. :P

My fish are doing pretty good. They're all active, I don't see any white specks on them again. Added another 10 drops of that medication I bought. Hopefully this stuff will go away. :P
Old 04-18-2010, 12:16 AM   #19 
tahbi

I got the salt! I added two tablespoons today as the directions said.

Before I added it, I also changed 50% of the water. I used my new gravel cleaner hose. It's so unbelievably amazing how dirty a fish tank can get. I didn't notice until the hose stirred everything up. Wow. Of course I couldn't clean it all up, so there's still a lot of waste in the tank.

My fish don't seem to be at all stressed with the change. :P I had to move all 8 to separate containers. Neon tetras were put in less than a 1/2 gallon betta carrier. I put my betta in the jar from the pet store, and the CAE in a different pet store jar. They hated to be caught, but now they're moving around without a care in the world. Happy fish. :)

They're also healing up very well! I think they healed by themselves mostly, somehow. :P

Tags
betta, disease