Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-17-2010, 09:21 PM   #1 
Uchiha Akanbo

Exclamation I think my betta is sick.

Ham's been so lethargic today. He stays at the bottom of his tank and only goes up to the surface to get air; Sometimes his mouth opens and closes as if he was having difficulty breathing. He hasn't eaten anything for the whole day either, and that's saying something, because yesterday I finally got him to eat pellets instead of just bloodworms.

I'm so worried. I think I just overfed him, but he doesn't look bloated; then I also think it's because I changed his water (ALL of it, it was so murky...) yesterday, but... I just don't know. He's just lying down on the floor of his tank. He doesn't even react when I tap my finger directly in front of his face anymore. When he does move, it's only for a few seconds. Like, to go up to the surface, and then come back down again.

If he's sick, can you guys please help me pinpoint what's the matter with him? *sigh* I repeat, I can't sleep at all, I just keep on staring at his tank.
Uchiha Akanbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 09:29 PM   #2 
Corykit

If you did a full water change it could be temperature shock, but you said you did it yesterday. I found my betta to be lethargic when it was too cold and I had no heater for him in his 2gallon. What is the temp of your tank?
Corykit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 09:30 PM   #3 
Greynova27

It's hard to tell, is it possible to get a clearer picture?
Greynova27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 09:35 PM   #4 
Uchiha Akanbo

It's 74.9F. And no, I can't take a better picture, this is from my stupid phone, since my mother brought along our only camera to europe with her. She'll be back tomorrow.
Old 04-18-2010, 08:19 AM   #5 
BettaxFishxCrazy

It could be temperature shock. Did you acclimate him before you added him? Meaning, were the two temps almost the same (the water in the tank and the water he was in)? Since they're warm water fish, they need a constant temperature of 76-80* F. If you have the money, I suggest you get a heater. They're about $12 at Walmart.
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 10:49 AM   #6 
Uchiha Akanbo

no, the water in the tank was waaaaaay much hotter (not warm, HOT) when I didn't have the thermometer yet. Like, near 90 (I know, I'm a bad owwner >_< I'm so sorry >.<;;;;;;) Since then I've lowered the temp to about 76-78F. so maybe it really is just temp shock? should I let the heater go on until the temp reaches 80 before I turn it off then?
Old 04-18-2010, 10:58 AM   #7 
BettaxFishxCrazy

Don't beat yourself up over it, things happen and you learn from them. :) Oh ok so you have a heater? A lot of people on here say that 80*F is the perfect temp so that'd be fine. If you can, bring the heat up slowly if you can control it. Just make sure that you always maintain a constant temperature.
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote