Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-17-2010, 09:15 AM   #1 
brancasterr

How should I introduce new fish after cycle?

My 10g will be cycled in about a week I think and I'm wondering a few things.

I think I'm going to put some cory cats, some zebra danios, my betta, a snail, and maybe some other things into the tank.

-Are Zebra Danios okay?

-What type of snail should I get?

-I've heard of aquatic frogs living in tanks like these. Can I get one of those? What kind?

-Any other type of fish that anyone recommends?

-Should I put the other fish in first, then the betta? So he doesn't have time to establish territory dominance?

Thanks everyone!
brancasterr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 09:42 AM   #2 
Oldfishlady

IMO a 10g is not big enough for a proper school of danios more due to their swimming needs, the smallest I would use is a 20g
Cory cats are social fish and do best in a school of at least 5 or more and they would work in a 10g but I would go with the dwarf type for a better fit, also cory cats are really sensitive to salts and medication. They tend to do better with small substrate too due to their digging habit and barbels.
A nice school of neon would look nice, what color is your substrate and do you plan on live plants?
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 07:07 PM   #3 
Mister Sparkle

I disagree about the space issue. I've kept zebra danios in 10G's quite successfully, and so have many others. However, while the danio is generally very peaceful, it is a fairly "boisterous" fish who have virtually no respect for another's "territory". I don't think a betta will really appreciate their presence and constant intrusions.
Mister Sparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 07:33 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Sparkle View Post
I disagree about the space issue. I've kept zebra danios in 10G's quite successfully, and so have many others. However, while the danio is generally very peaceful, it is a fairly "boisterous" fish who have virtually no respect for another's "territory". I don't think a betta will really appreciate their presence and constant intrusions.
Its more of a responsible fish keeping thing for the Danios that meet their needs that anything else.......
Old 04-17-2010, 08:41 PM   #5 
brancasterr

The gravel in my tank is light and dark blue. Neos? I've heard they don't go well with betta, however, I've heard many conflicting things.

Any ideas on the types of aquatic frogs?
Old 04-17-2010, 09:07 PM   #6 
Kittles

ADFs? They like to be kept in pairs. S'all I know.
Kittles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 10:59 PM   #7 
brancasterr

Oh, also oldfishlady, I already have plants in the tank.

Kittles, african dwarf frogs? Can I keep them with other fish? I'v read Bala Sharks. Are bala sharks okay to put in with a betta?
Old 04-18-2010, 08:30 AM   #8 
Oldfishlady

Your tank isn't big enough for a bala shark
Old 04-19-2010, 11:11 AM   #9 
Mister Sparkle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
Its more of a responsible fish keeping thing for the Danios that meet their needs that anything else.......
With all due respect, a great deal of aquarium literature will actually list 10G as sufficient for zebra danios, and literature will usually overestimate requirements. Again, my own experience with smaller species danios in this size aquarium was very successful. In terms of "responsible", the burden for responsibility was definitely met.
Mister Sparkle is offline   Reply With Quote