Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-19-2010, 11:59 AM   #1 
DarthMaul
Banned

Question what is the EXACT definition of a king betta?

Reason i ask, is my male VT Peter is a pretty decent sized betta. He is the biggest i have ever owned and the biggest i have seen in person. He was confirmed to be a VT a long time ago when i got him, however, could he be a king VT or is he just a full grown male VT? From lips to the end of his back tail, he is over 3 inches long.
DarthMaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 02:59 PM   #2 
DarthMaul
Banned

anyone?
Old 04-19-2010, 03:09 PM   #3 
vaygirl

I don't think anyone can say exactly what they are unless they're the actual breeders but if you google it you'll find what people think they are. There are a lot of opinions. There's an article here:

http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...co.html?cat=53
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 03:12 PM   #4 
1fish2fish

A king betta is a betta that has Giants in its bloodline. In general they are PK. Its possible to have a king VT but I doubt it unless the fish was bought from someone doing an experimental line. Pet store bettas are bred at fish farms and its highly unlikely that a fish farm would cross a king with a VT or a VT with a giant.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 03:13 PM   #5 
DarthMaul
Banned

well like people on here post pictures of king bettas and they even sell them at petco. But like from my own readings, sounds like king bettas are just bigger than normal bettas. Like my VT is a rather big betta haha so i was not sure, but thank you for that link
Old 04-19-2010, 03:53 PM   #6 
nochoramet

King bettas usually are defined as half-giant plakats. Which means one parent was a normal plakat, the other was a giant plakat. So they're larger than normal bettas, but smaller than giants. Fishy is a massive veil tail as well, but he's not a king, nor a giant. He's just a big guy :)
nochoramet is offline   Reply With Quote