Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-19-2010, 11:49 AM   #11 
finny

How often did you do the salt? I don't want to stress him out and have to change the water to often. Just trying to keep him calm as much as possible. He looks like he has goose bumps do you know what that could be? I will continue to do the Betta Fix and Salt and keep him in our Office which gets nice and warm.

Thanks again everyone for the advice! Keep Finny in your thoughts.

~ Anna

Last edited by finny; 04-19-2010 at 12:06 PM.
finny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 01:07 PM   #12 
vaygirl

Goose bumps? Are his scales sticking out at all? Like a pine cone? What kind of bumps?

For salt it should be 1/2 teaspoon of aquarium salt per gallon. So when you change the water just add the 1/2 tsp to the new water and let it dissolve. It shouldn't hurt your fish at all. You can use salt for up to 10 days.

I'll be pulling for him.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 04:49 PM   #13 
fishmadcraig

Rotting food + fish poo = Lots of ammonia. For me, i would be changing his water daily, even more so during his hard times. I also stay away from bettafix, It doesn't seem much weaker than Melafix in my experience, and in such a small tank any dosage would more than likely be an overdose.

It sounds like dropsy if his scales are sticking out :( Can you buy him a larger tank? I would do that, plus a heater, the heat increase to temperatures that he should really be at already (78-81) will help a lot.
fishmadcraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 07:27 PM   #14 
louu

3 years a good life for a fish in a bowl that size. It might be time to prepare yourself for loss but by all means make him as comfortable as possible and treat him for anything wrong. You have done a good job giving him a happy long life and the best advice I can give you is to relax this is most likely all being caused by old age (IN MY OPINION) and keep in mind whats best for the fish.

If your worried about dropsy I can dig up some information for you but otherwise I cant help

Goodluck and all the best you sound like you care for him very much
louu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 08:32 PM   #15 
Greynova27

My fish just died from dropsy and it sounds like yours has similar symptoms mine did. I'm sorry :( Just pray and make him comfortable.
Greynova27 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dying, fin, rot, sad, sick