Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-19-2010, 01:04 PM   #1 
Greynova27

Unhappy Am I a horrible person for doing this?

A couple nights ago, my fish, Eco, was dying. He had dropsy. The scales were raised and he would flop around the water and try to get air... And uhm... my family and I were out to eat... He had been sitting on a plastic flower when we left. When we came home, my mom and I checked and thought he was dead... He had fallen off the flower and was all twisted...

So we brought him to the bathroom to flush him... And apparently he was still breathing but barely. He could hardly move at all... And my mom and I agreed that flushing him would just put him out of his misery 'cause he just stared at me like "Let me die already."

And so we poured him in... yes he was barely alive... and flushed him... But I just read a human euthanasia thread... and it said that it's inhumane to do that and listed other ways that seemed just as horrible... so now I feel like crap and really bad about all this. I mean, he lived a decent life. He was about two years old...

Idk, I just need reassurance there wasn't much I could have done.
Greynova27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 02:35 PM   #2 
DragonFish

I'm so sorry about Eco, I know just how you feel, I lost my girl Phoenix to dropsy the other day :(

No, there wasn't much you could have done to save him at that point.......though I would have simply put him in the cup he came in and floated him in his tank to keep him warm until he passed on his own(which is what I did with Phoenix). But your not a terrible person for doing what you did without knowing, I've did it before I knew how to properly go about euthanasia as well and I'm sure I'm not alone there.

So theres no need to feel bad, no one here will think any less of you, your not alone, and you know better now for future fish :)-hugs-
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 02:50 PM   #3 
1fish2fish

I agree. Since you didn't know that flushing is an inproper method of euthanasia then there is no reason you should feel bad.

I'm very sorry for your loss. It sounds like you did everything possible to save him.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 02:57 PM   #4 
Greynova27

Thanks guys, I feel a little better about it now.. I mean, he looked so miserable and it was painful just watching him flop about... :(
Greynova27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 06:07 PM   #5 
rubyfire

Aww srry to hear that :'( you did as best you could. Sounds like he had a good life with you.
And all drains lead to the ocean right? He has that big ocean in the sky to swim in now.
rubyfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 08:55 PM   #6 
Romad
TFK Moderator

It's not something you ever get used to. I had to put one of mine down that had some kind of stoke (guessing). I used the clove oil and vodka method and trust me - it was not pleasant but it was fast.

So maybe next time, give that a try.

Sorry about your fish,.
Romad is offline   Reply With Quote