Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-29-2013, 08:32 PM   #251 
annyann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Miria View Post
Yes, I read Methyl blue was a great treatment for serious diseases but I think SC should be just fine =p I'm glad you've used it with success! Where did you get you're otto's? Locally or online? And yes I've thought they were adorable ever since I learned about them ^_^
I got mine at the local Petsmart, they have well-kept fish unlike the local Petco and Petland. But yeah, no deaths and they are very active. I got them thinking they were just gonna be there as the clean up crew, but there a cute and interesting part of the tank.
annyann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 08:48 PM   #252 
Phantom Miria

Today I went to the AQ shop and got two Otto's and another relatively mature VT betta. They are all un-named as of this moment but I'm thinking some up =p

I forgot how sensitive Otto's are, and I accidentally forgot to drip method them >.< I hope they are ok! I am SC'ing all new fish, I think the girl has a slightly torn fin. I'm boiling up some carrots for the Otto's and everyone is in quarantine for a while including Clarissa and Derpy right now.
Phantom Miria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 09:01 PM   #253 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Otos look good and they should be okayokay. I love the look of the new girl and can't wait to see her grow up more!
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 09:35 PM   #254 
Aus

Hi! Just wanted to say how much I like your NPT, very pretty! Good luck with the new fishies, too.

Also, the mouth thing might have been cotton-mouth, a kind of columnaris that affects mouth/gills. I found a good broad-spectrum antibiotic worked for the one betta I had with it, who had the come-and-go white stuff for a little while.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 12:18 AM   #255 
Phantom Miria

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnaugrim View Post
Otos look good and they should be okayokay. I love the look of the new girl and can't wait to see her grow up more!
I hope so, they are acting a little bit lethargic, I feel really bad for not dripping them =\ I boiled some carrots up and dropped them in the cup though so I really hope they warm up. Thanks!! She is a really pretty girl =)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aus View Post
Hi! Just wanted to say how much I like your NPT, very pretty! Good luck with the new fishies, too.

Also, the mouth thing might have been cotton-mouth, a kind of columnaris that affects mouth/gills. I found a good broad-spectrum antibiotic worked for the one betta I had with it, who had the come-and-go white stuff for a little while.
Thank you very much!! Since I've been treating her with Kanoplex it seems to be getting slightly better. What medication was it that you used? As usual, Clarissa is still very outgoing and acting normal. Hating the cup lol.

I came back to my room to find the new girls cup empty!! D: I was panicking and looking everywhere all over the floor and starting to get worried. Then, out of the corner of my eye I see a little head poking out of the densest part of the AQ and sure enough, the little rebel jumped out of her cup and into the aquarium!!!

I took her out as fast as I could, and put her back into the cup for QT, this time with a lid hehe. She loved the tank though xD!! She was totally exploring around with total wonder so I hope I can give her too a great home =) I also think she's earned herself a fitting name; Dashie after Rainbow Dash because she is very daring and her tail looks like a rainbow.

The behavior of the remaining betta's in the tank (Tessa and Ely) has changed slightly, Tessa is super bloated so I've stopped feeding her temporarily and she HATES IT. She will literally put her body sideways on top of a plant to yell at me 'FEED ME!' Ely has really been the loner outcast lately, but is still acting relatively playful and eating a lot. Its hard to tell but it seemed like her gills were almost bleeding the last time I checked, but its extremely hard to tell because she has blood red attributes being a cambo.
Old 01-02-2014, 03:25 PM   #256 
clairefish

I had a problem with BGA a while back. It's completely gone now. I did a 24 hour blackout and increased water changes, but the thing that really did the trick was adding a decently sized airstone. My betta didn't like it (he got blown around a bit), but the BGA was gone in a week. I'm not sure if it just dislikes oxygen or what. I think maybe because bettas don't like current, and we baffle filter flow for their comfort, it makes a pleasant environment for BGA. For some reason the airstone did the trick for me.

Beautiful tank, love your girls :) hope they are all happy and better soon!
clairefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 11:15 PM   #257 
Phantom Miria

Quote:
Originally Posted by clairefish View Post
I had a problem with BGA a while back. It's completely gone now. I did a 24 hour blackout and increased water changes, but the thing that really did the trick was adding a decently sized airstone. My betta didn't like it (he got blown around a bit), but the BGA was gone in a week. I'm not sure if it just dislikes oxygen or what. I think maybe because bettas don't like current, and we baffle filter flow for their comfort, it makes a pleasant environment for BGA. For some reason the airstone did the trick for me.

Beautiful tank, love your girls :) hope they are all happy and better soon!
Thanks for the advice!! I did this and the airstone really was the trick. I am no longer fighting BGA and if it comes back I'm confident I can just get rid of it again. Unfortunately, the Otto's died and didn't even last through the night BUT, it was a bad batch; I went back to the shop and even in they're aquarium Otto's were dead right there... does anyone have any suggestions for other tank cleaners?

The new girl is still doing great! I treated Clarissa with Kanoplex for almost a week and no real noticeable change in her condition... I'm really curious as to what fungal cure the member on the last page mentioned. I think it could definitely be a fungal thing, but she is still acting normal, healthy, and all girls are eating a TON.

I may end up going on a business trip for a month or so, so I'm looking into tank changing devices so my room mate doesn't have to use the 5Gal buckets like I do lol.
Old 01-07-2014, 04:34 AM   #258 
Aus

I used Myxazin:

http://www.waterlife.co.uk/seaquariums/myxazin.htm

Knocked the cotton mouth right on the head. Wonderful stuff, but I think not as mild on the fish as they claim, it seems to stress them out quite a bit. But yep, it works very well.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 07:48 PM   #259 
Phantom Miria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aus View Post
I used Myxazin:

http://www.waterlife.co.uk/seaquariums/myxazin.htm

Knocked the cotton mouth right on the head. Wonderful stuff, but I think not as mild on the fish as they claim, it seems to stress them out quite a bit. But yep, it works very well.
Alright thanks for the reply. I'm going to see if I can get it 1 day shipped. Next Tuesday I am leaving for a month for work, and will have my betta's under the care of my room mate who knows next to nothing about them.

Could somebody PLEASE explain to me Metheylene blue dips, how to do them, dosing, and treatment period? I used a 4 cup tupperware container to dip her today because the growth seems to have gotten a bit worse, like a white cold sore on her lip and gills. I let the Meth blue mix for about 5 minutes, and then dipped her in. I added 13 drops for 4 cups, and it advises 10 drops per 5 gallons for 3 ppm of treatment, and 3 tsp for 5g of treatment but only for 10 seconds. It has no info on extended use. I literally stood there and watched her reaction extremely closely, and when she came up to the surface, starred at me, and batted her fins faster, I knew she was done with it. She was in for about a minute. I want to say her lip had a slight bubbly looking thing when she was dipped but its hard to tell.

She is still acting normally and eating plenty so I'm confident in saying its some kind of fungul growth or something. It is on her lip and middle of her eyes.
Old 01-08-2014, 09:29 PM   #260 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Most dips and baths are anywhere from ten minutes to half an hour and some things more. I've never done method blue dips though so otherwise I can't advise. Try making a new thread about it?
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote