Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-13-2013, 05:58 PM   #41 
birdielikestomatoes

Aw, thank you. It means a lot to hear that.

I was hoping his lymphocystis wouldn't get as bad as it had. Previously it was just one small lump on his nostril, which would then heal before it formed again. But all of a sudden, or so it seemed, more and more lumps kept forming and the constant bursting of them left him no chance to recover.

I'm still debating on how to euthanize him. As horrible and gruesome as it sounds I'm leaning towards instant brain destruction, just because it causes instant death. While I wouldn't be able to carry out the gruesome task my dad has offered to do it for me, albeit reluctantly.

The other option is clove oil. This is the 2nd most humane option. I'm not sure how well I'd hold up to watching him fall into the effects of overdose, since if done right it should take about an hour.

Anyway, sorry for the depressing posts. Some good news is that I was given in a jersey wooly rabbit two months ago as a late birthday present from my uncle and his wife. They were no longer able to care for him. (he was a whim buy :( ) Of course that means no hedgehog but that can come later.

Have some pics of King Cocopuff. Well his real name is Oxley but he does a bunch of little cocopuff poops, in a litter box luckily. Well most of them anyway.

^ Psycho food face.

Last edited by birdielikestomatoes; 05-13-2013 at 06:01 PM.
birdielikestomatoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 10:55 PM   #42 
gema

Hes so cute! Omg I want one. Does he just live inside like that all the time?

So sad about steve. I personally couldnt go through with it and would get dad to do it.
Also hows tribbles tummy problems going? My 1 and a half year old son like to feed my little dog people food as well and he often gets a funny tummy. Never to nappy extent though lol.
gema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 09:21 AM   #43 
birdielikestomatoes

Isn't he? I absolutely adore him. He is a house rabbit, which means he does live indoors all the time. He doesn't have free roam of the house, however he does get to explore the tv room while sister isn't around as well as the basement whenever I can get him down there. When sister is around he has both his cage to roam as well as the pen his cage is in. The pen is also shared by Tribble.

Hopefully that all makes sense.

Tribble's tummy problems are currently nonexistant. Since we switched her food she hasn't had as many mushy poops and she doesn't throw up for absolutely no reason. We've also been keeping an even better eye on sister so that she doesn't sneak Tribble any food.

Sharing is caring, except for when you have a small dog with a sensitive tummy!
Old 05-16-2013, 01:12 PM   #44 
birdielikestomatoes

On May 14 my wonderful dad helped me euthanize Steve. It wasn't easy for him, he's not the violent type, but he did it so that I wouldn't have to.

The whole process of getting Steve cupped, taken outside, wrapped up in paper towel, and then dispatched only took a minute or so, not including goodbyes (which happened while he was in the cup).

I've been really down about the whole thing, for obvious reasons. Steve was special to me, all my fish are special to me, but Steve was special special.

Today I'm going to do a big water change on the 10g, remove the divider, and move things around. Hilda will have the tank to herself once more.
Old 12-31-2013, 02:07 PM   #45 
birdielikestomatoes

Yeesh, I haven't been on here since May? That's ridonkitonk.

I've been somewhat avoiding BF.com since Steve died though. I don't know why, but after he died some of the joy these gorgeous creatures brought to me died a bit as well.

Whenever I'd come here I'd see the love these fish were receiving from their humans and I'd feel guilty because I wasn't able to give that same love to my lot.

It also worsened quite a bit when the fish I'd won from a contest on here died after I'd been too busy to do a weekly water change. The water had only been left for two weeks and when I finally did get around to changing the water she seemed fine. Fast forward 5 hours after the water change and she was gone. I must've messed her about too much. :(

Hilda was her tankmate at the time and she was fine with the wc but Agnes was a thai fish and I believe they are much more susceptible to changes in water parameters.

I don't know, the whole thing made me feel like the lowest scum on Earth.

That was in October.

And since then I've really emotionally distanced myself from Mr. G, Hilda, and Chubbs. I've only really been caring for them and that's it.

I might be in a bit of trouble though, yesterday during water changes I felt that old spark. That doesn't mean I'll be rushing out to get more bettas, oh no no no. I've learned my lesson there. But I feel that in the new year I'll be able to once again open my heart to these beautiful fish I have and give them the doting that they certainly deserve.

Happy New Year
Old 12-31-2013, 09:58 PM   #46 
Aus

Oh BLT.. I am so sorry to hear about Steve... and you know, I felt the same after losing the strohi first (I -still- have NO idea what killed all five at once, overnight, but I suspect my psychopathic former dirty hippy of a housemate DID something to them while the move was happening... AHENWAY... may karma bite him in the ass like a 50-foot betta, is all I have to say on that..) and I got a bit perfunctory about my other fish for a while. Then like an idiot, I introduced a new fish, didn't quarantine, and voila, two more dead fish. I've been just gutted, I really have.

But it gets better.. and you know? I have felt 'fishtwinges' too of late. Meaning, that if -some-body up and gave me a lovely purple female, I would not throw them out my house by the scruff of their neck. Heehee. But I'm not quite looking for new fish, yet..

OMG BUNNIES. I am having a squeesquee moment just staring at Oxley/Cocopuff. BUNNIES! *steals them*
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 07:29 AM   #47 
birdielikestomatoes

It certainly does get better with time, that's for sure. I'm just glad I felt that old feeling once again. I've been able to sit and watch them without feeling like a giant a**hole. I actually watched Chubbs swim around for about an hour last night. He's still a jumpy fellow but I can actually feed him more than 2 pellets without him going off and hiding. Progress!

If your former roomate did do something to them then I do agree! How terrifying would a 50-ft betta be? Those little nips I get during water changes pinch enough as it is!

No plural bunnies yet, but I did get Ox neutered in Dec. in preparation for a little lady friend. If everything goes well he should have a hunny bunny by later this year or early the next. It's an exciting thought! I'd post some updated pics but they're all on my other laptop.

I can however post some pictures of the late Agnes. She was a feisty thing! I'm sad that I only had 4 months of her company. I'm thinking that she must've had some giant in her or something because she was the same size as Mr. Grumpy.

Queue the photo spam! First up is her AquaBid photo.

And next up is some of my favorite photos I took of her.

Old 01-07-2014, 05:41 PM   #48 
birdielikestomatoes

Well, I feel like the fish killer of Utah. :\

Today, Hilda succumbed to dropsy. I was seriously just hoping it was bloat caused by some over feeding. But no, it was not.
Old 01-07-2014, 06:45 PM   #49 
BettaLover1313

I just started reading your journal, and it's definitely not boring!

I'm very sorry about your recent losses of fish. I know losing a pet can be very hard, especially when you've grown so close to them.
BettaLover1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 08:05 AM   #50 
Aus

Ack, BLT - I am SO sorry! :(

Gosh, it's hard isn't it.. But she had a lot of love and care from you, and a good life..

You are a wonderful fishkeeper. Losing fish for ridiculous or mysterious (or sometimes both) reasons is part of the hobby.. we can only do our best and accept that sometimes no matter how we try, they will die anyway.

Hugs, many hugs.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote