Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-18-2010, 07:28 PM   #1 
intyel94

Sick betta, please help:(

Hi,
Looks like our Ivan II is sick again.
The signs are: last 2 weeks he is most of the time sleepy, laying at the bottom of aquarium, sometimes getting to the top to get some air...
Also, I noticed his color slightly changing from dark blue to lighter - white
blue:(, his fins and tail no more look good. It looks narrow, kind of folded all the time. His eyes look sad, kind of blury and sleepy:(
If somebody is coming he is awaking and little bit swimming, but then quickly going down. He eats well: 2 times a day 5-6 pellets, nothing or 2 pellets on Sundays, 2-4 pellets and brine shrimps on Saturdays..
I change water 1-ce a week - 50% (2 gallons tank), I started increasing
his temperature: it was 70-74F, I am making 76-80 now...
He has 2 plastic plants...which are in tank already 5 months..
When we bought him at petco he was absolutely happy, with dark blue color and rich beutiful fins and tail.... What do I do wrong?

What should I do?

thanks for help...
intyel94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 11:08 PM   #2 
xxabc

Even with your details, it could still be anything. Is there no other physical sign? Is his poop white?

How many water changes are you doing now? If you are worried, daily partial water changes should be good.
A betta's temperature should always be around 77-80F. 75 degrees is already pushing it too low.
Is that 5-6 pellets TOTAL? That should be a good amount. Pre-soak the pellets as well.
Fin color can change. Is his body pale? Paler than before?
He is swimming up because he cannot live without oxygen from the top of the tank. I'm still worried he is not doing anything.
The blurry eyes - this may be cataracts, or soon to be pop-eye (google it, please, I've had no experience with it). He may also have been simply old when you bought him. Cataracts are said to be involved with old bettas most of thte time.
xxabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 07:35 AM   #3 
hamfist

Which pellets are you feeding ?

If it is Hikari Betta Bio Gold, then it could be the problem. One of our Betta's is made very ill by eating it. I have also read on the www of other Betta owners who's bettas become ill with the new Hikari formula .... It's main ingredient is wheat flour (or some derivative) and it also contains MSG (monosodium glutamate) which can definately be bad news.

In any case, even if you are not feeding Hikari, you are not feeding much variety of food. Your fish could possibly be suffering from a nutritional deficiency. You could definately try rotating different pellets, and giving more variety of frozen food.
hamfist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 11:26 AM   #4 
Mister Sparkle

Lethargy and fading color are pretty typical for a fish who is too cold and/or in very poor quality water. You are addressing the temperature issue, but what about your water? Have you tested it?
Mister Sparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 06:31 PM   #5 
xxabc

I will also give different light to hamfist's response. I've also read on people having difficulty with the Hikari pellets, however I use them very often as the staple (bloodworms as the treat). This has been going on for months and I've yet to see the problem. However, if others are experiencing it, you may still want to consider that.
Old 04-19-2010, 11:15 PM   #6 
intyel94

I didn't test my water quality yet..

Before I change water, I fill a pan and wait 24 hours, then replacing water. I use tap water (now, when he is sick I used spring water).

His poop is usual color, he eats well.
I feed him with betta hikari & (brine shrimps once a week).

His color changed to pale and fins are very bad looking, kind of...folded:(
He moves hard, mostly sleeping at the bottom. I thought it's fungus,
so I added little bit fresh water fish salt & fungus treatment. Will see what wil happen..

I can picture him & post it here, so you can see how does he looks now...
Old 04-21-2010, 12:13 AM   #7 
xxabc

A picture would be great.

Don't stop using tap water. Spring water is not as good as tap water in terms of nutrients and minerals.
I would say go buy yourself a water conditioner, and change water immediately rather than waiting 24 hours for the chlorine to dissipate. However, that is only my opinion...I'm pretty impatient. Lol.

The "folded" fins are commonly said to be "clamped" fins. These are signs of... many, many things... Hopefully the medication will help.

What is your temperature? When is the last time you changed the water?
Old 04-21-2010, 12:34 AM   #8 
allen

Thumbs up Hi there!

it is very sad to hear about your betta. But it could be anything. By the way, have you tried adding aquarium salt? Just adding 1 teaspoon of it per 2-1/2 gallons may bring your betta into normal condition. Good luck!

You can visit www.fighterfish.org for more info if you need.
allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 12:39 AM   #9 
intyel94

I will post the pic of him tomorrow, now it's too late and will be very bad quality.

I added aquarium salt and special anti fungus & bacteria medicine.
Yes, his fins look very bad.. He stays at the bottom most of the time.
He eats well as I sad, but most of the time stays at the end and not moving. :( His color looks pale and worn out.

It all started 2.5 weeks ago when we put a new plant from petco.
He was very sick after that, we removed the plant, he got better, started to eat, but never completely recovered :(
Old 04-21-2010, 06:08 AM   #10 
Neelie

if i were you i would do full water change with conditioner and salt added. turn up temp to 80- 82 degrees and keep him out of direct light. change the food to see how he does.
thats what i would do. i wouldnt go for any meds because you dont know what it is and it will only vcaus him stress.
Neelie is offline   Reply With Quote