Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-20-2010, 03:54 PM   #1 
breannakristine

Tank Backgrounds

How many of you have tank backgrounds for your tanks? I just got a 5 gallon from WalMart and it's a great tank and my Betta that's in it, loves it. The only problem is that when the light is on all he does is go back and forth and flare at his reflection at the back of the tank.

Another question I have is if you buy a background does it go inside or on the outside of the tank?
breannakristine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 04:39 PM   #2 
BettaxFishxCrazy

I have one background that I got a Petsmart because the tank is by the window. Sometimes the background can make the shadow more pronounced and can cause him to go even more "crazier". I've had no problems with my male, but some have said they had to take theirs down. It goes on the outside of the tank.
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 05:20 PM   #3 
andreig09

i had the same problem than you and i draw the background...

andreig09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 09:22 PM   #4 
Tinthalas Tigris

I used a neutral blue background I purchased from my LFS that was cut to measure of the 10 gallon it sits behind.

It came with one side neutral blue, the other neutral black. I chose it out of sake for aesthetics; I didn't enjoy looking through the aquarium to the wall behind it. Eventually, I am going to switch it to the black side, but because I am not doing much with my 10 gallon aquarium right now, it is a back burner project.

I've never used a background that has a fake extended aquascape picture to it. It always seemed like a strange idea to me.

BUT -- With my experience noted with my blue background, if I could find a brilliant aquascape that matched my color scheme in my 10 gallon, I would more than likely choose it instead of the neutral black or blue. The backgrounds are designed to provide you with additional depth, and some of those with great color schemes I could see benefitting a smaller aquarium with less bearing to it than a larger 100 or more gallon tank.
Tinthalas Tigris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 12:13 AM   #5 
s3kshun62

I've been trying to find a decent background for my 2.5 but it's hard to match the tank setup I have. I'd have to go for something that looks asian or has bamboo in it...not easy to find. They have some products that you spread onto the background film that basically glues it to the back of the tank so you dont get a mirror effect.
s3kshun62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 09:27 AM   #6 
herbwin

One option for tanks 10 gal or smaller are the laminated placemats like they sell at dollar stores. They have a variety of designs and you can trim them to fit.

I do like to use backgrounds as they reduce the light coming out of he tank and make it look better in the dark.
Posted via Mobile Device
herbwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 09:44 AM   #7 
breannakristine

Hmm thank's guys.

My only concern is that if the backgrounds are on the outside then wouldn't there still be reflections on the glass if the light it on?
breannakristine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 12:28 PM   #8 
Tinthalas Tigris

It will still have a small amount of glare, but not near enough to confuse your betta into thinking he has a friend/enemy in the tank.
Tinthalas Tigris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 02:21 PM   #9 
Phether

I'm making a moss wall backdrop for the background. You get a wire mesh, put some kind of moss on it (xmass moss for me) and cover it with a fishing net then tie it up and put it in the background.
Phether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 06:03 PM   #10 
1stAquarium

Ooh excellent idea! Won't the wire mess up your water parameters though?
Posted via Mobile Device
1stAquarium is offline   Reply With Quote