Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-21-2010, 02:26 PM   #11 
Mister Sparkle

Quote:
Originally Posted by brancasterr View Post
There are a couple methods widely used to cycle tanks; fish-in and fishless. Fish-in cycling uses a cruel method...
I'm going to have to go ahead and disagree with you here, bran...the cruelty results from people not doing it correctly! You can perform a fishy cycle without ammonia levels going above 1.0 ppm, and hovering around an average of 0.5 ppm. There is a momentary spike in nitrite, which is quickly rectified with a water change.

A novice should stick to fishless, mainly because of the maintenance required to leave fish in the aquarium during a fishy cycle. But, when done properly, the fishy cycle is not a cruel way to go. I almost always go the fishy route, but I have a hands-on approach and my bacteria is pre-cultured which jumps things off to a quick start.
Mister Sparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 02:38 PM   #12 
brancasterr

I agree with what you're saying Mister Sparkle, but seeing as the OP doesn't know much about cycling or fish keeping for that matter I would assume s/he is a novice. I personally would much rather do a fishless cycle because I would feel horrible if I cause a little fishy death as a result of a rookie mistake. I'm much of a novice myself but I'm quickly catching up!

Drowzy, you won't need to cycle a 2 gallon, it might actually be nearly improbable. It's difficult to keep smaller tanks cycled. As for water changes, with a filter or not you should probably do about 50% bi-weekly. That is just a suggestion, I'm sure others can tell you a better answer from experience.
brancasterr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 02:52 PM   #13 
Mister Sparkle

I fully understand why you're recommending it to the OP, and I agree with you on that. I just didn't want you to think that fishy cycling is inherently cruel. That's all! 8)
Old 04-21-2010, 03:45 PM   #14 
Kittles

I did a fish-in cycle with my first betta, Roy Cherry, and he's alive and well. Just had to whip out my handy dandy API test kit and make sure everything was legit on a daily basis and make appropriate adjustments if they weren't. So it's something I'd suggest, or at least keep yourself open to, if you're properly equipped and dedicated - but don't you have to take the same measures with a fishless cycle? Testing everyday, and such? Just a matter of more water changes. Not that this matters. Do whatever you feel necessary. HEH.

Also, I think people have successfully cycled 2-3 gallon tanks here. I'm not sure what kind of maintenance that involves, but it's possible if that's something you're really looking into.
Kittles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 03:49 PM   #15 
Mister Sparkle

You can really cycle just about anything. I cycle my 1-Gallon setup every time I'm going to add a new guy to it! All you need is something for the bacteria to grow on, like a little sponge filter or even some gravel, or both!
Old 04-21-2010, 04:28 PM   #16 
dramaqueen
Banned

I agree that fish in cycling can be done but I also believe that it shouldn't be done by a beginner who doesn't know what they're doing. I think there is a delicate balance between having enough ammonia to get your cycle going but not enough to kill your fish.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 08:00 PM   #17 
xxabc

Isn't it also possible to grab some cycled media (gravel / filter) and stick it into a gallon or so, and sooner or later, call it cycled? WIth tests of course. Although I'm not entirely sure. I just know my family friends instantly cycle their 8 gallon from their overstocked 50 gallon.
xxabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 10:30 PM   #18 
Mister Sparkle

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxabc View Post
Isn't it also possible to grab some cycled media (gravel / filter) and stick it into a gallon or so, and sooner or later, call it cycled? WIth tests of course. Although I'm not entirely sure. I just know my family friends instantly cycle their 8 gallon from their overstocked 50 gallon.
It's not really "instantly", but yes, that's how you do it. I prefer to use a sponge filter, though, because it's so darn easy!
Old 04-22-2010, 12:34 AM   #19 
xxabc

Well it cycled within the day, I consider that "instantly", hahaha. Compared to the *cough* months. Gotta love those sponge filters!
xxabc is offline   Reply With Quote