Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-18-2010, 04:40 PM   #1 
akjadestar

Nice things to add to 3 gallon tank?

Okay, well I have a pretty good setup for my bettta but I'm getting the feeling he's just bored... and his tank is nice but nothing really special...

Okay so his tank is a round, sorta skinny, tall 3 gallon acrylic tank (Aquaview 360, to be exact) I have red gravel, and two silk plants, one really big and bushy and the other is kinda small... He has a Tetra whisper heater for 2-15 gallons... and he has no sort of filter... but his tank does come with a riser tube and a bubble wand but the current from the bubble wand was a bit much. And he has an under the tank rainbow LED light.

I kinda want a filter because I probably don't change the water as often as I should... Is there a filter that works with round tanks and isn't really really big because the tank doesn't have a ton of surface area. Also I kind of want some live plants like moss but I don't know if you need special gravel or whatever, and the tank is sorta smallish... and I don't know if you need certain lighting?? Like I said I only have an LED light that goes under the tank. Any other thing you know about that I could put in the tank let me know! Thanks (:
akjadestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 07:20 PM   #2 
javi

For a round tank that can be very tricky. I would look for a fully submersible filter or a sponge filter. Ya dont need special gravel for moss since it does not root, ya have to either let it free float or tie it to an ornament.
javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 12:24 PM   #3 
Mister Sparkle

Why do you feel your betta is "bored"? Or are you saying that the appearance of the aquarium is boring to you? Just curious, as either one of these would be a good reason to make a change.
Mister Sparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 09:27 PM   #4 
akjadestar

Well I've just had the same set up for a while and he's not the betta who's happily swimming around and exploring and making bubble nests all over the place...
Old 04-20-2010, 12:39 AM   #5 
Mister Sparkle

Might have something to do with the water changes not being done frequently enough. Have you considered a sponge filter, rather than an external one?
Old 04-21-2010, 09:39 PM   #6 
akjadestar

I have been considering a sponge filter but not sure which kind is good...
Old 04-21-2010, 10:22 PM   #7 
Mister Sparkle

It's such a basic implement, as long as the pieces are all put together properly you can't really go wrong. Lee's makes a pretty good basic small one. You can make them yourself with very little trouble. It's really the best bang for your buck. Which is why PetCo/Petsmart won't sell them...cheap as dirt, and no replacement media. Once a week, you take the sponge and "wring it out" in some old aquarium water, the bacteria in it survive, and you put it back in!