Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-22-2010, 02:17 AM   #1 
blackberryjoose

How Much Light?

How much light should Bizzy get?

I had him on the kitchen table with the curtains drawn and the blinds cracked, but then I moved Bizzy into the bathroom, really just because I thought It would be cool to have a living element in there.

I dont have an overhead light source on my Marina 2L, but sometimes I just leave the bathroom light on.

Is this enough for Bizzy, or should I just get an overhead?

If I get an overhead, how long should I leave it on?

Thank you.
blackberryjoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 02:19 AM   #2 
blackberryjoose

I should also note that I wont be able to add an overhead light until next week at the earliest.

Baller Betta Keeper on a Budget!
Old 04-22-2010, 10:22 AM   #3 
Mister Sparkle

Your betta really doesn't have any particular needs for light. It's really about the aesthetics. For a small container, you need to make sure that the light you buy doesn't get too hot...it could send your water temps skyrocketing! I like "night-lights" or LEDs. Keep in mind, though, that even a night light will get hot enough to change the temperature in a 1/2-gallon of water!
Mister Sparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 12:05 PM   #4 
blackberryjoose

Ok, so he wont like freek out if I dont have him lit for like half a day, or something, right?

When I do get a larger tank, I plan on getting one of those LED bars that kinda bubble. Would that be enough light if I were to just have that and leave it on at night?

Is there any particular color that would maybe make a Betta more or less stressed out?

Thanks.
Old 04-22-2010, 12:29 PM   #5 
zoragen

I think it would depend on the color of the fish.

I was amazed at how much nicer Freddy looks in a tank w/ a light.

He had been in a betta cube & then I got a 3 gal. So while they don't care about light - I'd look for one that enhances his color.

Which may be a regular white light.

Mister Sparkle is right - lights can get HOT - so watch out for that.
zoragen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 12:36 PM   #6 
blackberryjoose

So how long did you have your betta cube, Zoragen?

I currently have Bizzy in a cube by Marina, myself.

I was just curious of how well it worked for you? Also did you have a light for your cube?

I purchased one that is a light and heat source at the same time, but am thinking of returning it, because It doesn't quite fit the way I would like it to, and I fear it may overheat, since it does not have an automatic shut off.
Old 04-22-2010, 12:58 PM   #7 
zoragen

Mine doesn't have a light. He was in there about 6 months & did fine.

Of course originally he was in a tiny little thing that was barely 1/2 gal. And neither were heated.

The temp in the cube was around 72-75 & I knew that was too cold. He is in my office & we don't have much room.

So I knew it was going to take some thinking to make space for a tank.

When my office mate got the frog-death trap from Brookstone I knew I had to do something. Then the snail & 1 frog died & I knew we need a real tank.

So we found the space (actually she got a shelf from Home Depot) & I got the 3 gal. When I put him in & turned the light on - wow - he's so much prettier! I also have a heater for it.

We had a card board "lid" on the cube & it's pretty dark.

The poor frog was afraid of Freddy & he was eating all the frog food so the frog is now in the betta cube.

Because of how weird/tiny our office is - getting a desk lamp to light the frog isn't easy. But I'm still thinking.

Using a light for heat is bad because you don't want to leave the light on & then the water temp drops & that stresses the fish & they get sick.

You need at least a 2.5 gal w/ a mini heater to keep the temp stable.

I was worried about the frog being too cold - but it was either the betta cube or starve to death w/ Freddy!!

And it's been over a month & the frog is fine.

The funny thing (no haha) is at home I have a 6 gal eclipse, heated, filtered with plants & Fins (in my avatar) is at deaths door (ICH).

Freddy has lived in 3 different tanks at work - only the last one is heated & large enough - we have had him over a year - and he's great.

My "properly" cared for fish isn't
zoragen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 01:05 PM   #8 
Kittles

It just occurred to me that your temperature might not be too stable in the bathroom, even with a heater. I say this because of the shower. If that's where you're showering everyday, I'd imagine the temperature would rise during that time because of all the steam produced and such. Those fluctuations might be harmful, depending on how extreme they are.
Kittles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 01:33 PM   #9 
blackberryjoose

Yea, that did cross my mind.

I turn the vent hood on when I go shower, and yes, it is where I shower everyday (sometimes...). The vent works pretty well, and since I just set up the thermometer, I'm gonna check it the next time I shower. If I find that the temp does go up to high, it's back to the Kitchen table with him.

Thanks, and good catch.
Old 04-22-2010, 01:52 PM   #10 
Mister Sparkle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittles View Post
It just occurred to me that your temperature might not be too stable in the bathroom, even with a heater. I say this because of the shower. If that's where you're showering everyday, I'd imagine the temperature would rise during that time because of all the steam produced and such. Those fluctuations might be harmful, depending on how extreme they are.
Good point, Kittles!
Mister Sparkle is offline   Reply With Quote