Betta Fish Forum banner

Where to keep my betta (housing )

4K views 51 replies 16 participants last post by  BeautifulBettaFish 
#1 · (Edited)
I got my Betta "Angel" in February 2010 ,first i had him in a "betta bowl" (small) , second i got a fish bowl (bigger than the "betta bowl" ) & third i got a bigger fish bowl (i think it holds a gallon of water-not sure) ...

anyway , heres the thing i dont really want or know how to maintain a fish tank,i dont really want the hassle of learning how to ,or keeping a fish tank (5 -10 or 20 gallon, etc.) i dont want to do partial water changes,or vacume up from the bottom ,etc.

when i got Angel i was told he would be fine in his small "betta bowl" ..but now im using the two fish bowls i got instead...

...i dont mind doing complete water changes daily or every other day with the fishbowls ...i like to put the water in one bowl let it sit & put the water conditioner stuff in to be safe transfer him in when the temps of the two bowls are about the same...then i clean out the bowl he was in & transfer him back into it the next day....

I have no heater or filter or anything like that ...i want to keep the process AS SIMPLE AS POSSIBLE....a bowl,& complete daily water changes...if this is "Good Enough " i will get more bettas, if not then i will just keep the one i have.....
Please dont say get a 5 or 10 or 20 gallon tank, i truly just dont want a tank like that & all that goes with it....

so is my SIMPLE system Good Enough or no ? you can see photos here http://beautifulbettafish.weebly.com

See less See more
#2 ·
I think your system works great, in terms of providing clean water every day. I actually had thought of doing the same thing, myself, in the past. (Getting two small containers and transferring the fish, then cleaning the other.) Ultimately I wondered if it would be too stressful, but maybe not?

With that said, I do believe your betta would be happier in a slightly larger container to have room to swim. :) Even if you just upgraded slightly, it would be better then that small vase that looks about 0.5 gallons? BUT, at least you're giving clean water. :)

#4 ·
Please dont say get a 5 or 10 or 20 gallon tank, i truly just dont want a tank like that & all that goes with it....

so is my SIMPLE system Good Enough or no ? you can see photos here http://beautifulbettafish.weebly.com
Keeping a tank is actually really simple, especially if you have a cycled tank. Instead of doing daily water changes you could do water changes once a week or twice a week. Even if cycling sounds too hard you can just get a 5 gallon and leave it uncycled. You don't have to have a substrate if you don't want to. The choice is yours, but I would definitely get a bigger bowl.

#5 ·
"Keeping a tank is actually really simple, especially if you have a cycled tank. Instead of doing daily water changes you could do water changes once a week or twice a week. Even if cycling sounds too hard you can just get a 5 gallon and leave it uncycled. You don't have to have a substrate if you don't want to. The choice is yours, but I would definitely get a bigger bowl."

What do you mean a cycled tank ? & what is a substrate ?
are you saying get a 5 gallon tank & just change it the same way i chage the water in the fishbowls ?

#7 ·
What do you mean a cycled tank ? & what is a substrate ?
are you saying get a 5 gallon tank & just change it the same way i chage the water in the fishbowls ?
Narnian pretty much has the gist of it. Here's an article that explains how to do a fishless cycle.

http://www.aquahobby.com/articles/e_fishless.php

You could keep a 5 gallon and change it the same way you do with your bowls, but I think having a cycled tank is much easier. It's all up to you though :)

#6 ·
I'm still learning about cycling, so I will let some one else answer that question (basically it's where you establish beneficial bacteria on your tank's filter, gravel, etc. Good bacteria keeps ammonia levels down and makes the water healthy for the fish to live in, without needing to change water everyday.)

Substrate is either gravel, sand, marbles, rocks......basically anything you put in the bottom of the tank. Substrate can make a tank prettier, but can also be harder to clean out debris and poop from.

So basically, if you have a larger tank that is cycled, you won't need to do water changes everyday and clean the bowl out completely.

#8 ·
The size of the bowl you described is just fine, as any established AUTHORITY on fishkeeping will tell you. Your willingness to provide water changes makes you the PERFECT candidate to continue using bowls.

It's the fact that you aren't providing heat that worries me. Room temperature just won't cut it for a healthy, long-lived betta.

#9 ·
Mr. S and I've had our "discussions" on tank size...but I do have to agree with his concern over having the "bowl" at the proper temperature...it is definitely a critical point for the fishes' longevity. 76 to 80 degrees F is a pretty good range.

#10 ·
1) Your system of betta bowling (Watch out for the strike!) is effective and several other users on here use that system between 2 or more bowls. In the past, I have also used it, but I don't recommend it because there are better methods out there.

2) What is wrong with keeping an aquarium? Your betta might need a small amount of water to survive, and a minimum of 2.5 gallons to live happily, but they really do enjoy more open space. The initial cost of an aquarium might seem like alot. Heater, Filter, Hood (cover), light AND a 10 gallon tank separately will cost you as much as 80 dollars or more. But if you purchase a starter package, these are ussually priced for sale below 50 dollars. Not to mention the amount of money you'll save in water conditioner because the number of water changes will drastically reduce after your tank has cycled.

3) Cycling is something to look up. It is a natural thing that occurs in a conditioned aquarium. Little beneficial bacteria that make their way into your aquarium from the open air begin to turn fish and food waste into various nitrogen particles, and eventually the aquarium biologically filters itself out with the aid of your water filter. It is really a fantastic process, and with live plants it works even more efficiently.

With consideration of all the above, your daily water changes of a gallon or more can be reduced to as little as 1 gallon every two weeks or so with a properly maintained and cycled aquarium.

Best of luck with your decision!

#11 ·
I just recently (today) purchased a 2.5 gallon tank, heater, filter and substrate and the total cost was around 60 US dollars. It doesnt take up much space, looks great and gives him plenty of room to swim in. For a little money, you can spend more time looking at your fish, instead of cleaning his tank.

#13 ·
Exactly, I mean when you're a child, you go through fish usually not knowing how to really take care of them. They are (for the most part) cheap pets that can be replaced easily. As you get older, it's harder for you to ignore the fact that they have needs as any other pet. Sometimes it costs a bit of money but its worth it.

#14 ·
I work as a veterinary nurse and I see so many people getting puppies because "they're cute!". I spend a lot of time going over the importance of handling their ears, and their feet, nail trimming and teeth brush, socialization with people and other dogs. Its staggering how many people aren't up to the task once explained what owning an animal actually involves. A few years later we see the same owner with the same "cute" puppy, who's now a full grown, dog aggressive fear biter that requires sedation to trim his nails, because he shoots anal glands everywhere and trys to attack us if we try without drugs. THIS IS NOT RESPONSIBLE OWNERSHIP.

All that being said, Bettas have for so long been known as the "beautiful fish that can be kept in a cup" Those bettas aren't healthy or happy. It makes me shiver to think of my betta who whizzes around like a squid in his five gallon, being stuck in a little half gallon tank. I cannot morally let a fish live in those type of conditions when I know I can provide better. I made a commitment to this little life to provide best for it, especially when the best is simply a heater, a 5 gallon tank, and a place to hide in. This is what we must teach others to understand.

#15 · (Edited by Moderator)
contrary to A LOT of opinions on here their is NOTHING wrong with 1 gal. habitats/tanks. Both my first 2 bettas lived just about 3 yrs in 1gal habitats and then died right after i upgraded both of them to 2.5gals, go figure.... but IMO/IME 1 gals are just fine for those who know the importance of frequent water changes.

. I cannot morally let a fish live in those type of conditions when I know I can provide better. I made a commitment to this little life to provide best for it, especially when the best is simply a heater, a 5 gallon tank, and a place to hide in. This is what we must teach others to understand.
Their is really nothing wrong with 1gals... if you do frequent water changes and what not, the conditions will not be bad. IMO, 5 gal is HUGE for one betta, not that a 5 gal is bad or anything. But some of use just simply do not have room for 5,10,25, and as i saw once a 65 for ONE betta. so WE have to settle for 1 gals and 2.5gals and our bettas can live just as LONG as people who have bettas in 5gal+ ( my grandma had one for 3 yrs in a betta bowl) and we are NOT bad people just because we do not house our bettas in gigantic tanks, just saying =] I mean if i had room for a 10gal, i'd get one and it split it 3 ways for 3 males =]

#17 ·
lol wow...i'd put my 2.5 gal up against anyones 10-20 gal and i bet my betta lives just as long =]

#20 ·
I guess I usually recommend larger for new people is because a lot of people who come here have a hard time taking our advice on water changes. They think we're crazy, militant, fish nuts. :) And then they don't keep up with water changes and the fish gets fin rot or ammonia poisoning.

See, for me it's not just about how LONG they live and the pristine condition of their tank. It's about their quality of life. I have the ability and the money to give them plenty of room. I'll give you a fish example:

If anyone saw Tango hunting imaginary creatures all day in every little cranny and hidey hole in his planted 15 gallon, they'd know the space is good for him. His world is MUCH bigger then a clump of grass and he explores every bit of it all day long. Whiskey on the other hand, in his 5 gallon, spends a lot more of the day pacing across the front. I can SEE the difference just sitting here at my desk every day.

#42 ·
Well, let's take 2 bettas. One lives in a 2.5 gal and ones lives in a 10gal. Both live the same life span. You can't say one thrived and one survived if they both live the same life span.Tank size does NOT really matter. Tank upkeep does :)

#22 ·
There's a difference between "I think" and "through experience, I happen to KNOW"!

Look at aquabid sometime. There's some THRIVING, beautiful fish who live in 1/2-gallon or less. Sorry that your opinion happens to be so far removed from fact, but you are hardly in a position to say that many of the world's most renowned betta-keepers are merely "sustaining" their fish in substandard conditions.

#24 ·
Yeah but you're talking about breeders selling fish. They keep their fish in minimum space and cost in order to maximize their profit. That's like saying puppies in cages at the pet store should be kept in the same conditions at home because they survived and looked healthy there. We'll have to agree to disagree.

#25 ·
A dog is going to breed even in horrible conditions. Bettas won't. False analogy seems to be the favored among those supporting this sorry excuse for a "rule." What you just said is that top betta-breeders are only in it for the money, and are only as concerned about their fish as a fish-farm or puppy-mill would be. That couldn't be further than the truth. You WISH you could care for your fish as well as they do!

David Boruchowitz is the editor-in-chief of Tropical Fishkeeper magazine, and also the author of an authoritative book on keeping bettas. Please pardon me if I'll take his word over yours. I'm sure your fishkeeping resume is just as impressive, though. :roll:

#30 ·
It's not about being happy. It's about correcting for all the mistakes you're making with their water and temps.
... you don't even know me. How do you know what mistakes I am making with the water and temperature of my fish?

You know, you only joined 9 days ago. Maybe you should sit back, relax, and enjoy the forum for the laid back, informative, and caring community that it is, instead of harshly pushing your opinion onto others.

#28 · (Edited)
Why did you buy a living animal if you didn't want to look after it properly? :roll:

I personally dont see what makes you any more important than the fish. Just because your bigger and more powerful. Its a life, it can feel pain and neglect, How would you like to be living in your bathroom relying on your owner to feed you and keep you clean? Keeping a betta in less a gallon is awful.

#29 ·
I'm sorry, what 'rule' are you talking about? I don't remember saying anything about a rule. I have the money and abililty to offer my fish a bigger home then others, so I do.

I didn't say anything about 'top breeders'. You're talking about aquabid. I've seen pictures of some of the setups there. Row after row of jars with one leaf in them. The fish are beautiful. I agree completely. But that's not what I choose to give my fish. I like to try and recreate a more natural and bigger habitat. Kinda like a zoo would. I guess maybe I am a militant fish nut? :)

#33 ·
Where do YOU get off trying to tell someone who's been successfully keeping fish for longer than you've been alive what it means to "look after it properly"? You have a lot of nerve pretending I don't provide adequate care for my fish, not to mention Mr. Boruchowitz and every breeder who has been renowned for care and providing the careful lines that you find so "neat".

I've said it once, and I'll say it again. I'll put the water in my 1-gallon up against the BEST you can muster from your aquarium, and you'll be the one feeling like you are neglecting your fish in the end. There's nothing "awful" about a 1/2-gallon container. And there's certainly nothing awful about one smaller than 5-gallons. What's awful is taking up a hobby for a year or two and deciding you are in some sort of position to look down your nose at someone who doesn't live up to the erroneous "standard" some other fool convinced you of.
I wasnt even talking to you,

"
anyway , heres the thing i dont really want or know how to maintain a fish tank,i dont really want the hassle of learning how to ,or keeping a fish tank (5 -10 or 20 gallon, etc.) i dont want to do partial water changes,or vacume up from the bottom ,etc."

I was aiming it at that...

#37 ·
Like before i guess its a case of Agree to disagree.

To me keeping a FISH, that should have to space to SWIM in a half gallon container is neglect.
Keeping a fish who wouldn't naturally swim further than 4 body lengths in any direction in a container which allows him to do just that is neglect? Interesting. :roll:

What is it called when that fish's natural habitat is 2-3 inch-deep standing water and you put it into a foot of water churning from your filter's outflow? A trip to the Bahamas?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.