Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-22-2010, 03:30 PM   #21 
TeenyTinyTofu

In reference to a betta being able to survive in a 1 or 2 gallon container its whole life...

there's a difference between survive and thrive.
TeenyTinyTofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 04:15 PM   #22 
Mister Sparkle

There's a difference between "I think" and "through experience, I happen to KNOW"!

Look at aquabid sometime. There's some THRIVING, beautiful fish who live in 1/2-gallon or less. Sorry that your opinion happens to be so far removed from fact, but you are hardly in a position to say that many of the world's most renowned betta-keepers are merely "sustaining" their fish in substandard conditions.
Mister Sparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 04:17 PM   #23 
Mister Sparkle

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaygirl View Post
I guess I usually recommend larger for new people is because a lot of people who come here have a hard time taking our advice on water changes.
And THAT is good advice.
Old 04-22-2010, 04:19 PM   #24 
vaygirl

Yeah but you're talking about breeders selling fish. They keep their fish in minimum space and cost in order to maximize their profit. That's like saying puppies in cages at the pet store should be kept in the same conditions at home because they survived and looked healthy there. We'll have to agree to disagree.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 04:26 PM   #25 
Mister Sparkle

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaygirl View Post
Yeah but you're talking about breeders selling fish. They keep their fish in minimum space and cost in order to maximize their profit. That's like saying puppies in cages at the pet store should be kept in the same conditions at home because they survived and looked healthy there. We'll have to agree to disagree.
A dog is going to breed even in horrible conditions. Bettas won't. False analogy seems to be the favored among those supporting this sorry excuse for a "rule." What you just said is that top betta-breeders are only in it for the money, and are only as concerned about their fish as a fish-farm or puppy-mill would be. That couldn't be further than the truth. You WISH you could care for your fish as well as they do!

David Boruchowitz is the editor-in-chief of Tropical Fishkeeper magazine, and also the author of an authoritative book on keeping bettas. Please pardon me if I'll take his word over yours. I'm sure your fishkeeping resume is just as impressive, though.
Old 04-22-2010, 04:36 PM   #26 
TeenyTinyTofu

Some people choose to keep their betta's in enclosures big enough for them to swim and be happy. So you don't agree, oh well. Agree to disagree.
Old 04-22-2010, 04:37 PM   #27 
Mister Sparkle

It's not about being happy. It's about correcting for all the mistakes you're making with their water and temps.
Old 04-22-2010, 04:46 PM   #28 
fishmadcraig

Why did you buy a living animal if you didn't want to look after it properly?

I personally dont see what makes you any more important than the fish. Just because your bigger and more powerful. Its a life, it can feel pain and neglect, How would you like to be living in your bathroom relying on your owner to feed you and keep you clean? Keeping a betta in less a gallon is awful.

Last edited by fishmadcraig; 04-22-2010 at 04:54 PM.
fishmadcraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 05:02 PM   #29 
vaygirl

I'm sorry, what 'rule' are you talking about? I don't remember saying anything about a rule. I have the money and abililty to offer my fish a bigger home then others, so I do.

I didn't say anything about 'top breeders'. You're talking about aquabid. I've seen pictures of some of the setups there. Row after row of jars with one leaf in them. The fish are beautiful. I agree completely. But that's not what I choose to give my fish. I like to try and recreate a more natural and bigger habitat. Kinda like a zoo would. I guess maybe I am a militant fish nut? :)
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 05:03 PM   #30 
TeenyTinyTofu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Sparkle View Post
It's not about being happy. It's about correcting for all the mistakes you're making with their water and temps.
... you don't even know me. How do you know what mistakes I am making with the water and temperature of my fish?

You know, you only joined 9 days ago. Maybe you should sit back, relax, and enjoy the forum for the laid back, informative, and caring community that it is, instead of harshly pushing your opinion onto others.