Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-22-2010, 05:07 PM   #31 
Mister Sparkle

words words words...unnecessary arguing over a misunderstanding...blah blah blah

Last edited by Mister Sparkle; 04-22-2010 at 05:21 PM. Reason: I misunderstood Craig's post....
Mister Sparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 05:10 PM   #32 
Mister Sparkle

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeenyTinyTofu View Post
instead of harshly pushing your opinion onto others.
Hi, Pot. This is Kettle. Guess what?

Saying 1 or 2 gallon containers was cruelty is "harshly pushing your opinion". Calling you out on your uneducated viewpoint was quite appropriate and, in fact, called for.

Last edited by Mister Sparkle; 04-22-2010 at 05:14 PM.
Old 04-22-2010, 05:13 PM   #33 
fishmadcraig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Sparkle View Post
Where do YOU get off trying to tell someone who's been successfully keeping fish for longer than you've been alive what it means to "look after it properly"? You have a lot of nerve pretending I don't provide adequate care for my fish, not to mention Mr. Boruchowitz and every breeder who has been renowned for care and providing the careful lines that you find so "neat".

I've said it once, and I'll say it again. I'll put the water in my 1-gallon up against the BEST you can muster from your aquarium, and you'll be the one feeling like you are neglecting your fish in the end. There's nothing "awful" about a 1/2-gallon container. And there's certainly nothing awful about one smaller than 5-gallons. What's awful is taking up a hobby for a year or two and deciding you are in some sort of position to look down your nose at someone who doesn't live up to the erroneous "standard" some other fool convinced you of.
I wasnt even talking to you,

"
anyway , heres the thing i dont really want or know how to maintain a fish tank,i dont really want the hassle of learning how to ,or keeping a fish tank (5 -10 or 20 gallon, etc.) i dont want to do partial water changes,or vacume up from the bottom ,etc."

I was aiming it at that...
fishmadcraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 05:15 PM   #34 
fishmadcraig

Like before i guess its a case of Agree to disagree.

To me keeping a FISH, that should have to space to SWIM in a half gallon container is neglect. People in prisons get more room than that...
Old 04-22-2010, 05:16 PM   #35 
Mister Sparkle

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishmadcraig View Post
I wasnt even talking to you,
Then, on that, I was out of line. I jumped on you for just having bad timing.
Old 04-22-2010, 05:19 PM   #36 
fishmadcraig

Smile

No hard feelings this side
Old 04-22-2010, 05:19 PM   #37 
Mister Sparkle

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishmadcraig View Post
Like before i guess its a case of Agree to disagree.

To me keeping a FISH, that should have to space to SWIM in a half gallon container is neglect.
Keeping a fish who wouldn't naturally swim further than 4 body lengths in any direction in a container which allows him to do just that is neglect? Interesting.

What is it called when that fish's natural habitat is 2-3 inch-deep standing water and you put it into a foot of water churning from your filter's outflow? A trip to the Bahamas?
Old 04-22-2010, 05:24 PM   #38 
fishmadcraig

Quote:
Keeping a fish who wouldn't naturally swim further than 4 body lengths in any direction in a container which allows him to do just that is neglect? Interesting.

What is it called when that fish's natural habitat is 2-3 inch-deep standing water and you put it into a foot of water churning from your filter's outflow? A trip to the Bahamas?
But there's nothing to see or do in such a small tank. Sure, there might be a little plant in the middle and some substrate but whats that to keep a fish interested. I guess its hard to know if fish get bored or not but i for one know that i'd much rather be in a 2 and a half gallon tank than a half gallon.

And on that, im going to bed.
Old 04-22-2010, 05:30 PM   #39 
Mister Sparkle

Look, I'm not attacking your choice of a larger aquarium. That's fine. Nor am I saying your fish isn't happy. But, when we talk about fish who live in very murky water and just sit in one territory just to blow a bubble nest and wait for a female to happen by, perhaps fighting off a couple invading males from time to time, I don't know if boredom is something that bothers them. I don't think we're talking about a particularly "exciting" existence to begin with. I like to exercise my guys a bit, let them flare from time to time...etc. But "exploring" isn't really much a part of the betta lifestyle, if you know what I mean.

I might be happier in a mansion, but that wouldn't mean a mansion is the minimum space I need!
Old 04-22-2010, 07:52 PM   #40 
Kittles

Quote:

Isn't that a bit of an exaggeration? And a little generalization?

I mean, sure, the water of paddy fields, and ditches, and khlongs of Thailand may only be several inches deep, but its volume is large. Larger than the .133 cubic feet of water a betta is provided with in one US gallon. How else would a female wander by? Had to come from somewhere and be swimming more than four body lengths in that particular direction. And on that note: if bettas naturally swam no more than four body lengths in any direction, mine would be demonstrating this behavior in his 10 gallon tank, right? But he doesn't, and makes full use of the space he's given. From this, I can assume that bettas in the wild would exhibit the same behavior should they also be provided the same space, right? After all, I think a 10 gallon allows for a more accurate reflection of natural habitat. Sure, they may not be the most energetic of animals, but even a sloth gets around. As for the filter mamma jamma, I'm not even touching that one - we both know there are ways around a current.

Now, you know I stand behind you when it comes to betta care in smaller aquariums, but to throw around such hyperbole?

Last edited by Kittles; 04-22-2010 at 07:56 PM.
Kittles is offline   Reply With Quote