Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-27-2013, 11:50 PM   #1 
Amaranthia

Glass surfing

My betta is really, really, really active. He barely pauses in his "pacing" to take a breath. He never shows interest in anything except his heater and food. And if he swims through the middle of his tank, it's a surprise. He won't stop glass surfing for hours and hours on end.
Sometimes he'll slow down for a few minutes to hover over his heater, and he does build bubble nests, so I guess he slows down enough to do that when I'm not looking, but that's it. I've tried putting plants against the glass, but he just squeezes himself between them. I've tried putting different things in his tank and changing the setting around, but nothing works to slow him down.

I've had him about two months, and he's had some struggles with Ich and fin rot, so his fins are only just starting to grow back. Could this have anything to do with it?
Should I be worried about this constant glass surfing?
Amaranthia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 05:22 AM   #2 
aditya

no do not its nature of the fish
aditya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 06:42 AM   #3 
Laki

Is there a chance he sees his reflection on the inside of the glass? Do he seem flared up and aggravated? Some bettas are more active than others but glass surfing could be a symptom of boredom or (in the case of my plakat) a fungal disease. Chances are, your fish is totally healthy and you're not used to seeing bettas so active bc the myths that surround them encourage people to keep them in tiny unheated bowls/vases- a proper tank with heater will bring out the best in bettas.

Maybe put more plants around his tank. I found it helped to put bristol board around my tanks so they feel more secure.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 08:50 AM   #4 
Quisquose

It's usually boredom more the anything. If I were you, I'd add more plants and decor, especially floating cover. My newest did not like swimming through the middle of his tank until I added some floating water wisteria to the top- and he loves it! He rests in it all the time and blew a bubble nest right in the middle! In the wild, Betta splendens come from shallow (8"-18" deep usually), wide (Acres and acres of water) pools that are absolutely FILLED with plants. They love heavily planted tanks. If that doesn't help, one of my older, less active boys likes to watch the pond snails in his tank crawl around. Feeding live food may help relieve boredom as well, and it helps reinforce his natural instincts.
Quisquose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 11:09 AM   #5 
Amaranthia

Thanks for all the advice! It's almost definitely boredom, because i saw him biting his tail earlier too. I was afraid he might be a tail-biter. I'll try putting more plants in his tank.
Old 12-04-2013, 05:36 PM   #6 
Amaranthia

I bought four new plants, 2 foreground and 2 background, and he's sooo much better! Still active, but not glass surfing at all; he's just swimming through his plants, exploring. I'll keep an eye on him for fin biting, but hopefully this will solve that problem.
Old 12-05-2013, 12:15 AM   #7 
KeshiaB

Mine was the same for the first couple of months, almost renamed him Kelly Slater because he just wouldn't stop surfing! I think it's a combination of adjusting to an environment and feeling too exposed. My boy stopped once I added floating plants, now he only comes up to the glass when I'm nearby.
Posted via Mobile Device
KeshiaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 03:28 AM   #8 
clementchee

I have problems catching the movement of my plakat too. Active is a good thing I guess.
clementchee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 03:44 PM   #9 
relaxedcrazyman

having the same issues with glass surfing and tailbiting, thanks for the tips everyone, going to pick up some plants tomorrow!
relaxedcrazyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 07:00 PM   #10 
BlueLacee

Location: Colorado Rockies, the Land of Skiing, Festivals, and Incredibly Rich
Is he bird? Can he see his reflection?
BlueLacee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
active swimming, fin rot, glass, ich, surfing