Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-23-2010, 12:08 PM   #1 
cdawson5

Exclamation Can't determine what's wrong... :(

Hi everyone I'm new and have already found this website to be great.

Here's my problem. I have a female betta and I can't determine what is wrong with her. She is lethargic, graying, not eating, and kind of looks like she has a dark streak on her side. I have been giving her the Melafix for three days so far (this has been going on for over a week and I didn't want to give her something that was going to hurt her).

I changed her water two days ago and everything came back fine with test results. She is in a one gallon bowl (I'm in the process of saving up for a bigger tank) and there is a heater with her.

If there is anything that you think may be wrong please let me know. I'm worried that she is going to die :(.
cdawson5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 12:22 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

I would start by doing 50% daily water changes for 4-5 days and then do 50% water changes every other day thereafter due to the size of her tank, if you are on city water supple make sure and use dechlorinator and keep the water temp within a couple of degrees of new and old water so not to cause temp related issues

Any other behavior changes and what is the water temp now
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 12:30 PM   #3 
cdawson5

The temperature is at 78. Right now she is just hanging out at the bottom of the bowl. I always use the declorinator and actually, I perfer to use the spring water and then add it. I feel like it is safer than city.

She does come up to the surface for air and seems to be moving around a little bit more than the past week. But the majority of her time is either up at the top not moving (I kind of move the bowl a tiny bit to make sure she isn't dead) or sitting on the bottom not moving. I went to Petsmart yesterday to talk to someone and the guy said that it is normal for her to not be moving. Didn't sound convicing since she never really did this before. Oh and I've had her for 5 months so I don't think it's because she is getting old.
Old 04-23-2010, 12:39 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

In a 1g container the ammonia can raise really fast, start making the daily water changes and see if she perks up.
Also, due to no regulations on the bottled type water sometimes it can just be filtered tap water and due to the filtration process it also removes the minerals that the fish needs, tap water with a good dechlorinator is usually better for the fish...IMO/E
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 04:39 PM   #5 
cdawson5

Thanks. I did the 50 and she actually seems to be swimming around a little more... ::fingers crossed::