I am new here, and very interested in starting a Betta tank with one male.
I'd love to have a couple of other fish to initially cycle the tank and then to clean it of algae/look pretty.
I've found the albino cory cat - could I keep two of these in a 5 gallon tank with one Halfmoon Male Betta?
I have a few questions about cycling the tank. My goal here is to add the Cory Cats at the beginning, feed them and generally care for them for however long it takes the bio filter to set up whilst the tank's mechanics are going on, and then add the Betta.
1. When I get the tank, what water do I add for the Cory Cats and what do I do to it?
2. Once I have added the water and (if needed) removed the chlorine, and set up the filter and heater, could I add the Cory Cats to the tank about a day later?
3. Do I actually need to measure the ammonia, nitrites and nitrogen levels or can I presume, after two weeks of the Cory Cats being active in the tank, that the levels are fine to go and add the Betta?
If I need to measure the levels, can someone recommend a complete kit of the indicators?
4. Can I add sand from the very beginning?
5. Are there any precautions or very notable things about the Betta that I should know about? When you were a newbie, were there any things you would have instinctively done that would have been very bad?
Thank you so much. I am probably going to make another thread with more care questions if that's ok. I've read the sticky and have been researching for a while but am quite confused. I'm an animal enthusiast but find fish to much more complicated than exotic mammals such as my pygmy hedgehog, haha!