Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-06-2014, 09:40 PM   #1 
brigitta

something causing swim bladder disease?

So for the past couple days I've been scouring the internet like crazy, trying to figure out what's going on with my female betta, Nina. I just got her a couple weeks ago and she looked very healthy when I got her (unlike a lot of the other poor guys) and she was up until a few days ago.

I'm keeping her in a 2.5 gallon tank, unfiltered & uncycled (too small for either of those), and with a heater.

The first night I noticed something was off, she had a slight s-curve to her spine and her body kept wanting to tilt to the side. She wasn't very bloated (she'd only been getting one pellet a day; she's tinier than my other fish have been), but it looked like SBD, so I treated it as such and gave her an epsom salt bath. The next morning, she looked fine again, but I fasted her for a day or two and gave her a pea. She pooped within 12ish hours. But then the next night, she was acting the same. Slight s-curve, wanting to float on side. But she seemed frustrated about this and started leaning against the side of her tank to keep herself upright. I wasn't sure what to do, so I gave her another epsom salt bath and--once again--she was fine the next morning! But this is the third night it's returned, and I've gathered a couple possibilities. Either it's a parasite (but no white spots & it doesn't look like velvet) or it could possibly ammonia/nitrite poisoning? I'm doubtful about the ammonia or nitrite poisoning because I've been changing her water twice a week, once 50% and once 100%, and the past couple nights I gave it 100% change after the epsom salt baths, thinking if it was ammonia or nitrite, new water would be good since I have no filter.

I gave her another epsom salt bath tonight (she seems to handle them well) but I don't think it did much this time. She's a little bloated this time, and I'm sitting by her as I type this and I just noticed (this didn't happen the other two nights) she has some white poop hanging from her? But it's not super stringy. Isn't white poop normally a sign of internal parasites, and if so, what would I treat them with?

In the morning--as long as the weather allows it--I'm going to get a water testing kit (the API one) and some coppersafe (in case it is parasites, just to be prepared.)

So basically I'm wondering what's wrong with little Nina, sorry for the novel of a post.

Last edited by brigitta; 01-06-2014 at 09:42 PM. Reason: typo
brigitta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 09:48 PM   #2 
brigitta

the poop looks basically like this, but not brown at the end, and it's smaller
Old 01-06-2014, 09:54 PM   #3 
Aus

That's internal parasites.

You'll need some anti-parasite meds. Eww, poor fishy.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 09:55 PM   #4 
brigitta

Do you have any recommendations for specific meds?
Also, how long can bettas typically live with parasites for?
Old 01-06-2014, 09:58 PM   #5 
Vounn

I wish your betta get well soon. I feed my betta 5 pellets a day, he's about 2 inches in length. Maybe it has nothing to do with diet, but you could try treating with 1-2tsp/gal Epsom Salt combined with either Jungle’s Anti-Parasite Pellets, Jungle’s Parasite Clear Fizz tabs or API General Cure, from the sticky thread Betta Fish Disease and Treatment.

Last edited by Vounn; 01-06-2014 at 10:03 PM.
Vounn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 10:01 PM   #6 
brigitta

When I was considering nitrite/ammonia poisoning, I stuck a live plant in there, and usually she has aqua pebbles at the bottom of her tank, but I took those out to monitor her poo.
Old 01-06-2014, 10:20 PM   #7 
Vounn

I remember I bought my betta in medication which colored the water green, and on the first few days in his new home, his poops had been spiral and white. I performed like three quarter water change every 2 days, and the medicine got diluted seeing the green color of the water getting paler. I fed him twice a day, each time like 3 pellets, and I regularly removed his poops using spoon from the tank bottom (it was a shallow tank). I didn't have any idea what the green colored medicine was and I didn't bother to ask the store keeper. After a few days, he became more active and spanned the whole tank about half gallon water in it, the tank had nothing but water, and his poops began going brown and more spherical.
Vounn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 11:01 PM   #8 
Aus

The Jungle anti-parasite pellets are supposed to be good - we have different meds here in Australia, so I can only go on what I hear.

Epsom's safe to use with meds. When treating for any parasite, I renew the meds/water 100% daily to help flush out any eggs/spores/larva, whatever disgusting things are being shed.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ammonia, nitrite, parasites, sbd, white poop