Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-06-2014, 10:17 AM   #1 
LurkerMom

2.5-3 gallons

My cousin literally fell in love with my Betta when she saw pictures. She's been wanting a new fish since a while (her goldfish died this summer) Because she didn't really know how to care for a fish.

I am explaining her as much as I know (about water changes, feeding and whatnot) and making sure she'll understand before anything since she'll most likely take one from the same breeder, I wouldn't want to refer someone I don't feel comfortable.

She's money conscious so she's not willing to pay hundreds for a tank, so I was thinking about looking for a 2.5-3 gallons for her (buzz off with the judgements please)

So ideally, a 2.5-3 gallons with a small filter. I'll provide her with a water heater

Do you have any recommendations? easy shipped in Canada if not in a store.

I was eyeing this one for her

http://www.amazon.com/Tetra-29041-Bu.../dp/B00591C0F8
LurkerMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 10:29 AM   #2 
eatmice2010

I think that would be fine for a betta. Idk how old she is but if she is of age you could always have her sign up here, but from the way you text sounds it saound like she is young.
eatmice2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 10:32 AM   #3 
LurkerMom

She's 32 :P she doesn't speak English that's the problem heh
LurkerMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 10:36 AM   #4 
eatmice2010

Oh XD. Well that size is good for a betta tho.
eatmice2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 10:37 AM   #5 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

I would definitely go with 3 gallons, 2.5 can sometimes be a little unstable. All tanks will hold a cycle if given a filter but the bigger the tank, the easier it is to manage which is just plain easier in my opinion lol. But a 3 gallon would hold a more stable cycle than a 2.5 so it would be easier for your cousin not to harm the fish, you know? That tank is fine but I've heard some uneasy reviews about the bubbler column in the middle.

Something you should keep in mind is looking around your town as well, I think it's called Kijiji, the site where you can find used stuff that people are selling around. But you could probably easily find a cheap used 5 gallon that she could use, might actually end up being cheaper if you plan it right is all. Not saying that you have to, but if you keep your eyes open you can find some pretty awesome stuff that people are sometimes willing to just throw out!

EDIT: Oh derp, don't listen to me and my thing about the bubble column, wrong tank my bad! I looked at it a little too quickly lol

Last edited by lilnaugrim; 01-06-2014 at 10:41 AM.
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 03:03 AM   #6 
Gallifrey

There are plenty of people here with 2.5~3G tanks. (I house one of my bettas in a 2.7G.) You'll just have to tell her that she'll need to do two 50% water changes a week, one of which includes substrate vacuum. 5G+, I've found, are recommended because it cuts down on maintenance and are more stable.

You could buy a standard rectangular 2.5G for about $10 USD from any pet store, or 5G for about $15 USD. A good filter you can use for tanks 5G or under is this: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...fm?pcatid=9821

This's the tank I use for one of my bettas (comes with filter, etc. But no light, or at least mine didn't come with one): http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0069RPRHO

^ I like this one in particular because it's nothing but glass - no borders - so it's easier to match with any decor in the room. I believe the lid is made from plexiglass.

Last edited by Gallifrey; 01-08-2014 at 03:07 AM.
Gallifrey is offline   Reply With Quote