Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-03-2014, 08:42 PM   #1 
JamieL

Debating changing my filter(s)

Right now I have a 20 gallon long, relatively heavily planted with one betta, 5 panda cories and 5 otos. I'm currently running two cycled filters on it, one tetra whisper 10 and a topfin 10, one on each end. I'm thinking about switching to just one filter, I'm looking at the Aquaclear 30, since the aquaclear filters seem to be so popular. I'm not sure if it's worth making the switch or if I should just stick with the setup I have. According to AQAdvisor (I know it's not the be-all end-all, but I like to use it as a reference) with what I have now I'm at 96% filtration capacity, but the AC 30 would put me up to 115% or so. What do you all think?
JamieL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 09:11 PM   #2 
FirstBetta

You could upgrade to Aquaclear 50 and get all the features of the AC line and get more adequate filtration.
FirstBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 11:35 PM   #3 
hopeful fish

go for it. So long as you give it time to establish before removing the old one, nothing bad will happen.
hopeful fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 09:37 AM   #4 
JamieL

Ok, I went for it and got the ac50. :). I saw that you can turn down the flow, so I figured its $6 more, and it would be good to have in case I ever get a bigger tank.

Should be coming in the mail today. I wonder if transferring the media from the other two into this one will be enough to transition? I could leave the whisper in the tank for a while I guess.
Old 01-08-2014, 03:28 PM   #5 
FirstBetta

Using the two together is the way to do it!
FirstBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 11:23 PM   #6 
JamieL

I bought a more powerful one so I don't have to run two! I'm not sure id need it, just the ac50 running on its own is so much better than the other two, I cant believe the difference. My water and substrate have never been so clear, I'm amazed. And the space for media is so big that I used all the new media it came with, except the carbon, plus all the old media from both the other two filters. I'm so glad I bought this one!!!
Old 01-08-2014, 11:40 PM   #7 
jennesque

I personally like running two filters if I'm running an actual mechanical filter. In my 20 long I have a sponge filter, and an extra air pump in case of any air pump failures.. In my 37 gal I run a canister filter and a little box filter which is also air powered... I just like to have a back up in case anything breaks. Plus with a sponge filter, it's easy to set up a battery powered air pump in case of power outages.
Posted via Mobile Device
jennesque is offline   Reply With Quote