Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-25-2010, 10:28 PM   #11 
akjadestar

I bought an aluminum thermometer and the temperatures no better... if anything it's worst... It's barely above the safe zone indicated (70 degrees)
akjadestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 01:56 AM   #12 
xxabc

Definitely wait on that thermometer. A lot of use that specific type of heater, and I've never had anything that bad.

Well, I live in Texas and it's April. I don't even need a heater, but it's for the sake of night-time drops, haha. It gets bad in the day, but normally because it's pretty warm inside the house, it stays around 79-81.

Exchange the heater. Either wait 24 hours for the thermometer, or exchange the heater tomorrow for a new one. My walmart ALWAYS has at least ... a bajillion in stock. They sell quite well.
xxabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 07:28 AM   #13 
a123andpoof

I have the same heater. And just bought another. But I am having the same problem with the first. I bought it a week ago and its only staying about 75. My fish doesn't seem to mind to much, though he stays closer to the heater. but I think I am going to put my new heater in their and try that, and return the other if they will let me.
a123andpoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 09:02 PM   #14 
Mister Sparkle

I'm just finishing up my "test drive" of the Marineland 10W heater for 1-3 gallon aquariums. I'm pretty pleased with it...my only complaint is that the "minimum" water line indicator isn't accurate. If used completely submerged, it effectively keeps the water right @ 78 degrees. Very impressive.
Mister Sparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 10:05 PM   #15 
sjones

I have bought two of these heaters in the last couple days and neither of them work, one was tetra and the other was a different brand from petco but looked the same, both don't work, arg frustrating! Not buying another one of these types again ever but what to get?
sjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 12:46 AM   #16 
Mister Sparkle

Marineland is a more dependable brand. Tetra is about the bottom-level of brand-names, and a generic is never a smart move with precision equipment, like heaters. I can understand why the price tag would be a deterrant, but I'd rather pay more for something that actually works than to deal with the disappointment associated with another Tetra product.
Mister Sparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 12:58 AM   #17 
xxabc

I agree with Mister Sparkle here. I only use mine because it's way past the return date, and I just hate wasting things.
xxabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 01:05 AM   #18 
brancasterr

I have a heater similar to the one being discussed here; heats the water to 78 degrees and keeps it there. I've had it in two places in the last two months. First in a 2 gallon and now it's in a 10 gallon. Oddly enough it works A LOT better in the 10 gallon and keeps my water around 78-79 on the opposite side of the tank where the thermometer is. In the 2 gallon it kept it at around 75. I think this was because the heater was simply heating a small portion of the water around it and then turning itself off.
brancasterr is offline   Reply With Quote