Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-29-2010, 12:26 AM   #21 
Starbright

What's horrible is that I have a friend whose dad loves betta fish. He has 15 of them lined up in a row in those tiny little bowls and it kills me to see them. All of them can't even move! A piece of paper's kept between them so they can't see each other.. Then he got a ceramic bowl and put 2 females in there to breed them...

I'm not that close to her... just did a government project with her so I can't just tell her dad that he's doing everything wrong! I told her, but she's not that in to fish :/ He's Vietnamese and can't really speak English so he probably never did his research.

Expert village sucks so much..
Starbright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 12:26 AM   #22 
Kittles

Hot damn, Sella is on point, tonight.

Whoa, Starbright. Why can't he do his research in Vietnamese? Lol, I don't think you can attribute his lack of fishkeeping know-how to his ethnicity.

Last edited by Kittles; 04-29-2010 at 12:29 AM.
Kittles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 01:09 AM   #23 
xxabc

LOL. Hey I'm vietnamese, and I would just LOVE to add an explanation here (not in a negative light. I find this highly amusing).

Okay, maybe not so much an explanation. But Kittles, if he was able to find some instructions to sympathetically care of betta fish in Vietnamese, I'd still doubt it... I'm not sure how to put it, however. Also, I wouldn't say it's "lack of know-how in fishkeeping", I would say it's ... TOWARDS not caring, although that's too much of an extremity.

It's not often you find a completely sympathetic vietnamese adult when it comes to "low-value" fish like betta. It's definitely cultural background and where he came from (I'm judging this with my parents as they're 100% born and raised in VN). Being in VN and being in the US is totally incomparable...I'm not sure where to start? But it's definitely cultural background and where he came from. Hell, my mom offered to kill my betta fish for me when he contracted velvet. The medicine was worth more than he was, haha (he's alive today, no worries). All my vietnamese side-family are pretty ruthless when it comes to "things" like this. I'll stop here, because I would easily be crossing the racist/stereotype border in giving examples (although they're quite humorous if you are vietnamese LOL. We even had a party discussing all of this stuff).

Last edited by xxabc; 04-29-2010 at 01:15 AM.
xxabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 01:31 AM   #24 
Starbright

Ah no no no! I worded that awfully >.<"

I meant since he speaks Vietnamese and not English, he probably never went on amazing forums such as this one to see how to properly care for bettas, so he never developed a sense that he was doing anything wrong! I think he's also part of the no-technology older generation who doesn't know how to turn on a computer. (Well then again my mom's like that too..)

Sorry for any offense I gave by saying that! D: (I'm just so bad at wording sometimes..)

And haha my mom is always ready to offer her assistance in flushing my fish... dead or alive... She comes from a background where her dad snipped off their cat's tail and ate live lizards o.o" (Thank goodness she came to love our dog)
Starbright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 02:07 AM   #25 
Kittles

I never meant it too seriously. Just felt like sassin you about that last sentence because I found it incredibly amusing. I do understand what you said about the cultural differences (?), xxabc - that kind of opposite in paradigm thought.

Last edited by Kittles; 04-29-2010 at 02:09 AM.
Kittles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 06:11 PM   #26 
xxabc

Lol, no don't worry, you didn't offend me! I find it quite humorous though, although it's still pretty harsh stuffing those poor bettas in those little bowls. I know lots and lots of vietnamese relatives or relatives of friends that are in the same "situation" - All vietnamese and No english. I told my uncle about taking care of bettas, and he went (in vietnamese) "Pshhhhhh. Talk about spoiled. All that for a fish?" and whatnot.
xxabc is offline   Reply With Quote