Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-10-2014, 08:01 PM   #11 
relaxedcrazyman

i have also heard of people using a bath loofah cutting up a few layers of that and fixing it with a rubber band over the intake. pantyhose work as well, a couple of wraps and a rubber band. (at least that can be eliminated from potential for more damage)

sounds like the cycling process is in full swing :) two times a week will suffice, but if you notice your ammonia spike, a quick change will keep you betta happy and healthy
relaxedcrazyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 09:59 PM   #12 
Galaxy

Ah! A loofah! That'd be amusing. :D Maybe I can find a cheap one somewhere...

Okay, sounds great! I'll be sure to keep track of the tank and change the water more often if needed.

Thanks so much for all your replies! :) It was very helpful. ^_^
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 11:35 AM   #13 
relaxedcrazyman

of course. im pretty new to this too. i try and read as much as i can on anything betta and share the knowledge as best as i can. if you have any other questions/comments/curiosities, dont hesitate to ask. there is so much knowledge here and there is always someone willing and able to help :)

hopefully your little buddy will start healing soon and be back to tip top shape soon!
relaxedcrazyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 01:16 PM   #14 
MrsRowell706

Hello my Bettas had there share of ripped fins I wouldn't use aquarium salt unless fin rot starts to appear if you use it just in case type deal it will be less affective when you really need it. stress coat is good for ripped fins you would use it with your water cond. If you do use a loofah just make sure to keep a good eye on it they grow mold and bacteria easily that's why I wont use them in the shower any more you can get a cover for the filter intake for like $3 I have them in my tanks and they work great and if you feel it could be the plastic baffle you made just try to lower the water a bit so she cant swim to close to it. hope this helps :)
MrsRowell706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 04:17 PM   #15 
Galaxy

@relaxedcrazyman
Thank you! :)

@MrsRowell706
Thanks so much for the advice! That's very helpful. I won't use the salt then. I've heard it can have a great effect on fish.

I'll look into filter coverings too. Last time I went to Petsmart I /did/ ask about it, and the lady gave me this weird look and silence. I was like, well, guess you don't have them then. -_-'

Ohh! That is a good idea. I was thinking I'd put hot glue lining along the edges of the water bottle just in case. I hate to lower the water to much and give her less space to swim! I'll be working on that asap.

---------------
Also, bad news. I think those scrapes on the sides of her head weren't scrapes. I think her gills are red?

I googled it, and everyone says it's ammonia poisoning. But, how can that be? I've been changing her water twice a week since I got her. :/ She shouldn't have any.

Gah. Maybe I should make a new thread about it. I don't know. I wonder if she's had red gills for awhile and I haven't noticed. She's black/silver, so it's somewhat had to see.

And, she does have some red coloring in her fins. But, I don't think bettas usually have red gills for coloring. :/ I don't know...
Old 01-11-2014, 04:24 PM   #16 
MrsRowell706

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 22
Size:  14.6 KB

This is what the intake sponge looks like I found mine at petco. And as for the red gills I have no idea on that one I would start a new thread maybe and a senior Betta expert can help :) and your very welcome I love to help
Old 01-11-2014, 05:12 PM   #17 
Galaxy

Aha! Yes! That's what I was looking for at Petsmart last time I went! I didn't see one, and as I said, the lady there was /no/ help. I think I'll check amazon for a cheap one. Thank you for the help! :)

I'm going to make a new thread about her red gills then. :(
Old 01-11-2014, 06:12 PM   #18 
MrsRowell706

Your welcome and amazon is probably cheaper any way :) petsmart is never very helpful I went there when my Percy was sick and I knew more than them I always say they need to be trained better but usually they keep all the fluval stuff together and come to think of it I don't even remember seeing any of there stuff at petsmart? I'll have to pay attention next time I'm there. Good luck on the red gills keep us posted on how she's doing :)