Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-08-2014, 09:37 PM   #11 
Gallifrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by maybi View Post
I have never seen him tail bite though and he's not that aggressive. I did notice him flaring more, I think it's cause i kept his tank light on when my room was dark so he saw his reflection more. I fixed that, he is flaring less, so hopefully this will stop if its fin biting.

Sorry for the blurry pictures he would move by the time my phone focused
Yea, I can't tank pics of my fish either because they swim away.

But anyway, you most likely will never actually see him tail biting. More of like, "OH, WHERE DID THAT COME FROM?!" or "HOW DID THAT HAPPEN?!"

Gally tail bites a lot. Once I think he's healing, he tail bites again. But it's more a part of his neurotic behavior than anything else.
Gallifrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 09:45 PM   #12 
maybi

oh this is frustrating, he used to have such pretty back fins! I hope he stops
maybi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 09:49 PM   #13 
Gallifrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by maybi View Post
oh this is frustrating, he used to have such pretty back fins! I hope he stops
He should, given time, but if he continues, try to figure out what's causing him stress out to the point of tail biting through the process of elimination. I'd wait on that till you hear back from a couple more forum members to ensure that it isn't fin rot. Otherwise, water changes every day or every other day should help either issue.
Gallifrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 07:43 PM   #14 
futbol1

That looks exactly like my Betta's tail-it's biting! It doesn't look like fin rot to me.

Mine started this about 3 weeks ago. We returned from a 2 day trip, and I was shocked to see there was a large U shaped chunk missing from his tail. I figured he was just angry that we were gone, and possibly hungry, and hoped it was an isolated incident. I moved him to a larger tank, added some extra plants, and kept my fingers crossed. Everything seemed fine and then............

Fast forward to yesterday: another chunk missing!! Now I think this is becoming problematic, and I'm not sure what to do.

My fish has really long fins compared to the rest of his body, and he's very active, and I've read that sometimes they start biting because of this. His fins are becoming rattier and rattier looking, and they used to be so beautiful!!

How's your fish been? Any new biting?
futbol1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 07:52 PM   #15 
maybi

No new biting! What happened with my fish is I think he saw his reflection in his tank cause I left the light on, if you keep your room brighter then inside the tank then there shouldnt be any reflection! sadly Chuck has developed a new problem,

I think your fish was just stressed from being in a new tank too, so maybe now that he has settled down he should be fine! Maybe get stress guard to calm him down! I hope your fish stops! I don't think fin biting is deadly, you just have to make sure the tank is clean to not get fin rot.
maybi is offline   Reply With Quote