Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-11-2014, 05:28 PM   #11 
Withered

I started him on some General Cure today with a 75 percent water change. I also did a 50 percent last night to try to get rid of some of the aq salt i put in there. I tried to make his tank a little warmer...so it's around 80-81 degrees now depending on the time of day. It never fluctuates much...maybe only a degree or two. His body looks like it has a rusty gold appearance, but I can't tell if it's just his natural coloring or not because he's a blue and yellow fish so it's really hard for me to tell if it actually is velvet or not. I'm hoping it isn't and the general cure will work. I just want him to get better because it kills me to see him suffering. His fins look horrible and he's still just floating at the top. He does respond to me when I open up the feeding slot to feed him though and he's still eating his 6 pellets a day, so I don't know if thats a good thing or not?
Withered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 07:38 PM   #12 
Withered

Okay, upon looking at him under a light again, I really think that it is Velvet. Should I continue with the General Cure or should I stop and buy something for Velvet? I really don't want my fish to die. :(
Old 01-11-2014, 07:53 PM   #13 
LittleBettaFish

What are the ingredients of general cure? If it is truly velvet a product containing copper is generally your best bet. I am actually have good results with Seachem Cupramine at the moment. However, there are plenty of products out there that do the same thing.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 08:13 PM   #14 
Withered

It says the ingredients are Metronidazole and Praziquantel. I just don't want to go out and buy something for Velvet and put it in the tank while I have the general cure going because I don't think that would be safe, but I also don't want to just sit here and let the velvet spread since he's been like this for around a week or so already. Would http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...AvailInUS%2FNo this medication work? Thats the only one I saw at my lps when I was looking for fish meds. I may have to go again just to be sure I didn't miss something, but i'm pretty sure I didn't see any copper based medications, otherwise i'm going to have to order something online and i'm afraid it's going to be too late. :S How long can a fish live with Velvet?
Old 01-11-2014, 08:20 PM   #15 
LittleBettaFish

General cure sounds more like it is designed at treating internal parasites rather than external ones.

The Super Ick does say it treats velvet on another site. However, it doesn't seem to have very good reviews. Although whether that is from the medication itself or people losing fish because they left treatment too late, it is difficult to tell.

Some fish will succumb quite quickly to velvet while others are able to survive for a longer period of time. I have found it weakens fish a lot more than ich does, and it is not something you want to allow to go untreated for any longer than necessary as they can go downhill very rapidly, particularly once they stop eating.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 08:35 PM   #16 
Withered

Do you have any pictures of your fish with the Velvet or notice any different behavior in them? Can you tell from the pictures I posted if Velvet is what this is and do you know if I did go ahead an buy the meds you suggested if it would hurt to dose him with it even if it's not velvet? Sorry for all the questions, I just want to do what is best for my fish. I really hate the fact that everything sounds like everything else and Velvet seems hard to diagnose. I just know that he was a pretty happy fish...used to swim around all the time and act happy, but now he just sits at the top of his tank and acts like he's having trouble swimming and his fins have started to get what looks like fin melt...like he's literally shriveling up. It's so frustrating. I think i'm going to go ahead and buy the one you suggested and pray that it gets here before something bad happens. He hasn't stopped eating yet so at least there is that.
Old 01-11-2014, 08:38 PM   #17 
Vounn

Could you get his snapshot up here? So that we could see if the gold shin is his natural irridescence or not.

Last edited by Vounn; 01-11-2014 at 08:41 PM.
Vounn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 08:42 PM   #18 
Withered

Vounn, I had added three pictures on the first page. Were you not able to see those?
Old 01-11-2014, 08:44 PM   #19 
Withered

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t...203808_687.jpg

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t...203759_223.jpg

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t...203725_952.jpg

This was him when I first got him. Sorry it's blurry but he was a pretty active fish then.

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t...715_164838.jpg
Old 01-12-2014, 11:04 AM   #20 
Withered

Well, he's still alive today. I went ahead and put an IAL in there too since I had some, hoping that it would at least calm him if anything. I hope it's okay to have the IAL in there while i'm doing the general cure. I still don't know if he has velvet or not. I'm wanting to say no because he's not darting or scratching himself on anything, nor is he breathing hard...but I want to say yes because his fins are so stiff and clamped up that he can barely even swim and he just seems so weak plus it looks like he has gold dust, but like LittleBetta said, it could just be his natural iridescence too. I'm stumped on what else I should do...I just hope he's not suffering.