Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-11-2014, 09:52 PM   #1 
NikiD

Sbd?

So I'm pretty sure I'm dealing with SBD in Mr. Squishy

He is a double tail with a crooked spine. We got him about 2 weeks ago to go into my daughter's 20g tank. 3 days ago, we found him bloated and swimming at the top of his tank, acting pretty normal except a bit freaked out about not being able to swim downward. After we found him like that, I put him in a 2gal kritter keeper for monitoring BMs and for easier water changes. His bloating was gone withing 12 hours, but he hasn't acted the same since. He looks sad, half clamped up and mopey at the bottom of his tank. He hasn't pooped in the almost 3 days he's been in quarantine. My next step is to administer epsom salt, but there is no pine-coning or any other symptom I can observe. He did rip his dorsal fin when he was in the 20g floating on his side, but I can see some new growth with the stress coat and water changes.

Housing
What size is your tank? He was in a 20g, now in 2g filled halfway so he can swim to the surface easily
What temperature is your tank? 78
Does your tank have a filter? not on the 2g
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Was Aqueon betta pellets, have discontinued feeding it since he became bloated while eating it. He had 2 pieces of NLS small fish yesterday but no appetite today.
How often do you feed your betta fish? usually 2x a day, 3 pellets. Since he's been in QT, I fasted him for 36 hours, fed him 2 .5mm nls yesterday, and he didn't want anything today. Planning on fasting now until I see a poo.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? 50% 1x/week in the 20g. 100% at least every other day in 2 gal (sometimes everyday)
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Stress coat

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
pH: 7.6
Hardness: 100ppm
Alkalinity: 150ppm

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? His color is good, but he is a bit clamped and rests at the bottom of his QT tank.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Generally not as active and not as interested in things. Moping at bottom of tank. Will flare for mirror, but not the same as he did, only about 50% of the time. He acts exhausted. No other symptoms are visible. Not sure how often bettas are supposed to poo, so I suppose he could be constipated. I did see a bm about a week ago before his bloating incident and it was completely normal.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Wednesday night.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Thursday moved him to heated QT tank for observation. Stress coat but nothing else yet.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Unknown - only had him for 2 weeks.
How old is your fish (approximately)? Unknown. His body is about 1.25 in long, fins are fully formed. Got him at Petco 2 weeks ago.

I'm guessing he will be a special needs fish, and am preparing to make him a smaller, shallower tank.. I would appreciate any insight or other opinions more experienced betta caretakers might have.

Thanks!
NikiD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 09:59 PM   #2 
NikiD

Here is his pic from yesterday right after showing him a mirror:

Old 01-12-2014, 01:42 PM   #3 
LittleBlueFishlets

I would fast him for a day or two. You can also add a small amount of Epsom salt to the tank. Since you're doing frequent water changes in the 2 gal, I would just add it when you do the next change.

Do the water change as you usually do. When you add the water conditioner, also stir in 0.25 teaspoons Epsom salt per gallon. (This would be a total of 0.5 tsp in his current 2 gal tank). Make sure the Epsom salt is completely dissolved. Then do the usual acclimation procedure for him.

Epsom salt can take 1-2 days to have a laxative/fluid reducing effect. Since he has a crooked spine, he may need an occasional low dosage of Epsom salt to "move things along." I try to use the lowest effective dosage, which is why I recommend starting with just 0.25 tsp/gal. He may need more, he may need less, he may not need it at all....

Keep us updated on how he's doing....
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 02:08 PM   #4 
NikiD

Thanks, I'm going to grab some epsom salt at the store today.

He is upright this morning, but his fins are tightly clamped which is new. They look stiff and stuck together. The water I use is the same water I used in the 20gal and the same water he's been in for the last 4 days. Poor Mr. Squishy He has no interest in the mirror or food. Did a full water change this morning and added some extra stress coat. Still no poo. Also, no signs of ich, velvet, or any other visible symptom.
Old 01-15-2014, 04:12 PM   #5 
NikiD

Day 3 of Epsom salt, he hasn't pooped, but he has perked up considerably. I fasted him for 5 days and fed him a couple blood worms yesterday, he attacked them lol... So his appetite seems to be OK. His fins are still kinda stuck together and I noticed yesterday that there are a bunch of tiny black specks on his fins. Looks like a fungus or parasite of some sort so I'm treating with Malachite green. Hopefully that will help him.

Tags
bloat, constipation, double tail, sbd