Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-11-2014, 07:37 PM   #1 
maybi

Help my betta :(

He was completely fine this morning, infact he was completely fine like an hour ago. I look over to his tank and he's at the very top, He can't move anny lower, I think it's swim bladder disease but he's not lopsided. He's shaking and he can't swim to well he's just floating at the very top of his tank. He's struggling to swim lower but he just bobs right back up. He also gasps for air frantically sometimes. I'm googling diseases but I just don't know what to do, he's my little baby
maybi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 07:47 PM   #2 
maybi

Housing
What size is your tank? 2.5 gallons
What temperature is your tank? I am not sure but I have a heater and it's a new one so I'm sure its not broken, and he used to not have a heater so I know its not to cold and i felt it with my finger and I know its not like hot
Does your tank have a filter? no
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? a marimo moss ball and plants

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?top fin betta bits and blood worms sometimes
How often do you feed your betta fish? twice a day 2 pellots each time or a blood worm

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? 2 times a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100% Lately since he has been recovering from what I thought was fin rot (I think it was tailbiting now so I planed to do one 50% instead of both 100)
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? the stress coat and aquarium salts (only a little and I only used it twice so far)

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? I don't test the water :(

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? He can ony swim at the top of the water, when he swims forward he shakes and looks like he shivers. He has been gasping for air, bobs right back up when he tries to swim down
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms? just now, was perfectly fine earlier
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? I didn't, but was thinking I need to fast him if is SBD
Does your fish have any history of being ill? He was biting his fins but that was cause he saw his reflection to much, I fixed that
How old is your fish (approximately)?I just got him in october
Old 01-11-2014, 08:23 PM   #3 
maybi

I just wanted to add that I think this would be SBD and it says they can live with it and to fast them but I'm worried he is exhausting himself, his pectoral fins go so fast and he is struggling, he wants to swim around so bad. I think thats also why he gasps air so much is that he tires himself out
Old 01-11-2014, 11:14 PM   #4 
NikiD

My guy did this a couple days ago...his bloating was gone by the next day, but he tore his fins up when he was bobbing at the top (he was in a 20g filtered). I have him in QT right now, and am planning on keeping him there for a couple weeks so I can get his feeding and elimination schedule down.
NikiD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 11:20 PM   #5 
maybi

How often and how much should I be cleaning his tank now? I don't want to stress him
Old 01-11-2014, 11:29 PM   #6 
NikiD

I don't know for sure. I've been fasting my guy and have him in a 2g QT. I changed his water 100% yesterday, but he hasn't pooed yet and the ammonia levels tested at 0. I will change his water for sure tomorrow, so that would put me at every other day. If he were pooping, I would use a turkey baster to remove the waste. He's hasn't been himself since his floating episode.

I personally would leave him alone until the morning and see how he is then. I would also not feed him for 2-3 days. That's just what I would do and I am by no means an experienced betta owner. After reading all the SBD threads here, that was what I decided to do with my Mr. Squishy. Mine is not back to normal, and I'm not sure if he is just getting over being sick, or if he is depressed at being in QT...

Hope your fishy feels better soon!
Old 01-11-2014, 11:41 PM   #7 
maybi

I hope yours gets better too and won't be scarred from it! Yeah I'm definitely wasn't going to feed him and cut back on the blood worms.
Old 01-16-2014, 12:03 AM   #8 
NikiD

How is your boy doing?
Old 01-16-2014, 05:19 PM   #9 
maybi

He made a complete recovery! Is your fish still depressed?
Old 01-16-2014, 05:32 PM   #10 
NikiD

Glad your guy is all better!!! Yay for happy endings :)

My guy seems to be a bit better, but has some sort of fungus on his tail that made it melt :( He also has not pooped yet :-/ I'm treating him with an antifungal/anti parasite med along with Epsom salts. He had such pretty fins and it's all clumpy now... But his attitude is better and he's more perky, so I'm holding out hope that he will get through this.