Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Meet the Betta Keepers
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-13-2014, 07:38 PM   #1 
Bettaginer

Bleeding heart from the D.C. area

Hi guys, I'm utterly new at this aquarium thing and it happened sort of by happenstance (my husband had a 2.5gal tank we weren't using and we put a betta in it). After bringing him home the first night I read up on everything he needs and next day it was right back to the pet store to purchase his tank gear.

While there I saw this adorable little lady betta and remembered only reading "males will fight other males and keep fighting if there is no where to retreat to or way to leave the territory" so of course I thought a female would be ok. Before I tanked them together after she came home, I did more research just to be safe. Good thing since housing them together would have been dangerous.

So of course I went back to the store a third time to buy her a separate tank... and while I was there, they had so many MORE bettas out on the shelves that they had to move the fish into other sections of the store (the turtle aisles and gerbils etc). I couldn't bare the thought of them all dying in those cups so I decided (much to hubby's displeasure) that I wanted a sorority!! :D And so now thats what I have (plus little condo tanks for just-in-case they can't seem to get along). Over all spent hundreds that I hadn't expected to, and I've been 'cut off' from more fish-splurging, but I feel like it was totally worth it!

I ran across this site a few times looking for answers on what to do in the beginning, and now that I have a biter in the sorority taking out fins, and a would-be alpha in quarantine for pop-eye I decided it was time to create an account and join the community at bettafish.com You'll be seeing plenty more posts from me seeking much needed knowledge soon!
Bettaginer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 07:43 PM   #2 
Romad
TFK Moderator

Hello and welcome to the forum

Love the user name - LOL. It sure didn't take you long to get bitten by the betta bug did it?

We've all succumbed to those faces begging us from the cups ;)
Romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 08:00 PM   #3 
Bettaginer

Yeah and there is no rest for the bleeding hearts apparently, now that I've taken the biter out of the tank, and the one with pop eye... I've got three left in there and they're worrying me... What if that is too few and they wont get along? they are the three least aggressive but one is making a play for alpha she's flaring and chasing one of the remaining two. Should probably make a thread for help but was hunting through whats already here first

**EDIT: I meant to thank you as well, for remarking on my user name :D so thank you! :)

Last edited by Bettaginer; 01-13-2014 at 08:10 PM.
Old 01-13-2014, 08:19 PM   #4 
Romad
TFK Moderator

Do you have lots of hiding spots in the tank? Pecking orders are being established for sure and that should level out once everyone knows their place :)
Romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 09:40 PM   #5 
Bettaginer

I believe so, its 10 gallons (pic below for ref) I got nervous about separating them before the order was est. and put the biter back in. They are going through a weird cycle every twenty minutes or so where they fight, then lurk around then fight some more, and are getting pretty damaged fins... I don't know what to do :( One of the others has started biting back now as well...
Old 01-14-2014, 11:22 PM   #6 
Bettaginer

Update: The five girls are doing much better and have caled down and accepted each other. there is still some moderate flaring and chasing but its not nearly as violent as it had been at first. Also bought a few more plants and hiding places to fill in behind the pink reef ornament. :) Everyone seems happy :)