Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
View Poll Results: What is better overall, plastic plants or real plants?
Real is always better. 10 43.48%
Real are too problematic especially with cleaning. 0 0%
Plastic are easier and some are quite realistic. 5 21.74%
A nice mix is a good thing. 9 39.13%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-29-2010, 12:18 AM   #11 
xxabc

Always give bettas variety, although they should have some sort of staple (normally pellets or flakes if you aren't going through the "live food" route). Definitely be persistent with them.

Alaska?? Wow. You're going to need some good heaters. I would say 77-80F is the best ideal temperature for them (but you just ordered your heaters ... !)
xxabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 12:21 AM   #12 
Starbright

Ooh your avatar betta is so pretty!!

I myself prefer silk plants over plastic or live. It's a good mix between the two. I don't know how to take care of live plants and am too hesitant to put them in my small 2.5 gallon tank. Although silk plants don't look as realistic, my betta likes them so so do I :)
Starbright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 02:10 AM   #13 
Tinthalas Tigris

I'm a bigger fan of live plants myself. They look nicer, they give a stronger element of care to the aquarium, and because they have a little bit of difficulty and patience to them, there is a sense of purpose and pride when they begin to sprout additional leaves, or flowers and such.

Don't be set off by my words "difficult" and "patience." Anyone can grow a planted tank. It is just finding the right plant for you.

I highly recommend Java Fern, and Java Moss. They are very simple plants to grow, do not need to be planted INTO the substrate (ground), and do not require a high amount of light.

Re: Your betta bulbs. Just as everyone else has noted. They take a long time to start, if they decide to. The only one of 5 that I got in my starter pack took 5 weeks to pop open. When it did, it shot up like a rocket, with leaves everywhere. I would say other than my Java fern, and java moss, it is my most successful plant. It is the only plant I have that has flowers. Cool little Dr. Seuss Creature-finger flowers, with little tiny white petals. It is called an Apongeton. And it continues to flower, as it has for the last 2 months.

They're very cheap (both in cost and quality), and it doesn't hurt to throw 5 bux down so that everyone gets a couple to put in their tanks and wait patiently to see if they bloom.

Remember though... 5 weeks. Keep that in mind.
Tinthalas Tigris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 02:47 AM   #14 
Starbright

I've heard a lot of good things about Jana Fern! I'm college bound so it'd be hard transporting live plants and caring for them while in college (my betta's enough :) I'll def try out live plants again once I rent an apartment! I agree that you get a sense of accomplishment once you get the hang of it ^^
Starbright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 03:22 AM   #15 
LoneHowler

I change my vote, one of my otos died by the plastic plant and another was so stuck in it that it took quite a bit of prying to get him loose. Plastic is bad!
LoneHowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 09:22 AM   #16 
dramaqueen
Banned

It's best to go with silk or real plants.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 06:12 PM   #17 
xxabc

It's pretty unanimous that plastic is least-liked. And it's not about fin-ripping either, it simply doesn't look to pretty.
xxabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 06:19 PM   #18 
RobinK

It sure is! When I get more confident in my betta care I will try them out. I think the platic and silk ones I have look pretty nice but then...in alaska we get used to not having "fresh" or "real" when it comes to a lot of things. God knows what the fish have gone thru before they even get to us here.
My brand new 2 crowntails and 1 delta are rip-roaring around and building bubble nests like crazy but Ichiro, my halfmoon is lethargic and stays near the top, hiding in the plants. I put a small flat heater in and he seemed to be in top form this morning like the others but he's back to "hiding" and not moving. I can't see one thing externally wrong with him and have done for him what I did for the others that are thriving. All are less than one full week in my care. Huge diff. between him and the others. Good thing Petco has a 15 day return because I don't see him making it. :(
RobinK is offline   Reply With Quote