Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-06-2014, 01:19 PM   #1 
ynahanson

Talking Question! heheh

So I read of how to breed and stuff.
My question is can you just leave the male betta in the spawning tank to keep caring for his fry after they are free swimming. I mean he cared for all those eggs/frys for about 1-2 weeks then why would he suddenly eat them all up after all that work. Like feed him so that he dont eat any of his fry because of starvation.

Sorry if its a stupid question, but was just wondering. :P
ynahanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 01:40 PM   #2 
LittleBettaFish

I think it's because spawning and getting the fry to the free-swimming stage can be such a challenge in itself that most people don't want to risk the male suddenly turning cannibal on his fry.

Quite often the paternal instinct switches off after the fry have become free-swimming. At best this means the male treats the fry with indifference. But at worst it could mean he starts to eat them.

Some people do leave their males in with their fry. But it depends largely on the male and the breeder's own methods/goals.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 01:47 PM   #3 
logisticsguy

I take the male out after free swimming just to make sure they don't get eaten. Once free swimming I look at it like Im the best care giver for the fry. They are all different some would never eat fry others not so much trust. Once free swimming the male is very hungry and for the sake of both fry and male I remove him.
logisticsguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 05:05 PM   #4 
dramaqueen
Banned

I know of some breeders who leave the male in with the fry but I think you have to be experienced and know your males before trying this.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 02:15 AM   #5 
indjo
TFK Moderator

There are different levels of "daddies". Very Good daddies will care and feed fry. So so will only care for eggs. Bad daddies will eat eggs and or fry. But as stated above some can change to bad due to certain conditions.

inexperienced or too young of a male often eat eggs. Most will understand what to do as they mature more. but some are down right psychotic and will always eat their egg/fry. Always remember to condition them well before breeding. They will use up lots of energy but fast during the whole period. Once fry hatch/freeswim they only eat a little.

First time is always the time to "judge" what kind of male you have. We never know what he will do until we see him do it (good, so so, or bad daddies). . . so it's not really about how experienced we are. It's more about are we willing to chance it. . . . your call.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 11:23 PM   #6 
ynahanson

Thanks guys
ynahanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 12:20 AM   #7 
dramaqueen
Banned

You're welcome.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 12:04 PM   #8 
Myates

I've left males in with fry for the first couple of weeks.. it always freaked me out when he would grab fry and just carry them around in his mouth for a while before spitting them out lol. I personally don't do that any more - I just take out the dad as I rather be the one judging which ones need to be culled or not :)
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 01:50 AM   #9 
KSbetta

It's tough to see her reaction when I took her out just after spawn (from her sleep on the IAL near water surface), she was shock and thereafter running everywhere in search for her eggs/mate in her new area....I left the male one week after the spawn, seeing him working up and down 7-24 picking eggs (during spawn )and fries reminds us on our paternal instinct ... Can we help them in any way to take care of their off springs, thr' genetic or other means (artificial separator or chemical etc.)?
KSbetta is offline   Reply With Quote