Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Meet the Betta Keepers
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-10-2014, 09:48 PM   #1 
Cotton19

Post My new guys

While I have long since accepted and enjoyed the fact that I enjoy keeping fish in general, I had myself convinced that I am a one-betta man. Seeing as I had just my first, Buddy, for about two years, I was doing well at staying that way. That has now changed for the better, and each has a different story. After Buddy passed, three fairly different circumstances led me to the three new guys.

First, I came across the Petco baby betta section. We all have varying opinions on the subject, myself included, but among the 10 or so they had in stock, one bright blue little one stood out to me, and was even looking at me like we were already familiar. He was active, his cup was still clean, and for $2, I had to. He loves his frozen BBS. I may endeavor in the near future to try raising brine shrimp myself to have live food, but one step at a time, I already have 31 fish to care for. He bears enough resemblance to the "king" bettas that were in stock there that I named him KC, with the K in theory meaning king, but he could be a half moon, too soon to tell.

Next, I was looking through a petsmart, and found a young male half moon that was in terrible shape, bad fin rot, and I finally understood why some people make the habit of rescuing these guys and nursing them back to health. He is very appreciative of my help, very friendly to my cories, and is growing new healthy fins after his two week quarantine since bringing him home. When he is startled, he has a green shimmer that is nice, but he is primarily a two tone blue and violet. Since he fought through so much adversity, I named him Rocky, which is kind of funny since he is the least aggressive of my bettas.

On my birthday, I decided to go shopping for myself at Uncle Ned's fish factory, my local privately owned source for most of my other fish, and found that they had just gotten a shipment the night before from a local breeder of about 20 new bettas. For the first time, I found myself choosing between show quality fish right before my eyes, and picked up a glorious veil tail that has a lot of different colors to him; mostly orange, purple and red, but depending on mood and lighting, I have also seen yellow near the head, and blues and pinks in the shimmer of his fins. Since Bob the birthday betta is a long silly name, I call him BB (yes, I am a BB King fan). He is the most active, has the best vision, and likes to flare at KC's bowl, which is propped up inside his tank to stay consistent on the temp while KC is growing. This is how I came to guess that KC is male; I thought he was probably female, but judging by charts I have seen online, KC is likely only 2-3 months old, so time will tell.

Another long story short, I really enjoy having a few different bettas to see several types of behaviors and ages, since I now have a baby, a juvenile, and an adult. My girlfriend's new phone has a better camera, so I finally made an album with at least one pic of each, for those interested in seeing them. BB is so quick, its been hard to get a good pic of the stunning finnage he has for a veil tail, but I will keep trying. Also, I got the breeder net from one pic out of that tank as soon as I could, but for the day I brought BB home, it was all I had handy. Truth be told, on my birthday, I had expected to buy more inhabitants for my 55 gallon community tank, but even the nice catfish I had been looking at couldn't compare to him. Happy fishkeeping to you all, later.
Cotton19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 07:18 PM   #2 
BettaLover1313

Welcome to the forum! You have gorgeous bettas! It's very hard to just keep one once the betta bug has bitten you.
BettaLover1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 07:54 PM   #3 
Romad
TFK Moderator

Hello and welcome to the forum

I've always heard such great things about Uncle Ned's. I wish it was closer but maybe it's better that it's not :)
Romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 09:56 PM   #4 
Cotton19

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaLover1313 View Post
Welcome to the forum! You have gorgeous bettas! It's very hard to just keep one once the betta bug has bitten you.
thank you, and just so I know, what type is the betta that is your profile pic? looks enough like my baby one that it might shed some light on what I have once he gets bigger
Old 01-15-2014, 11:03 AM   #5 
BettaLover1313

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotton19 View Post
thank you, and just so I know, what type is the betta that is your profile pic? looks enough like my baby one that it might shed some light on what I have once he gets bigger
Dragoon is a dark copper dragon scale plakat male.
BettaLover1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 04:03 AM   #6 
Cotton19

Quick follow-up: I finally made a DIY divider for my 10 gallon, so that little KC doesn't get flared at as much, but I had to keep his bowl in the two tanks to keep the temp steady until I finished the project. He now has about 2 gallons to himself, and at least a patchwork shade from Rocky. While I didn't want to stress the fish, at least I have some nice pics from the short time it was necessary
Old 01-17-2014, 04:07 AM   #7 
Cotton19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romad View Post
Hello and welcome to the forum

I've always heard such great things about Uncle Ned's. I wish it was closer but maybe it's better that it's not :)
I swear by Ned's, most of the fish in my other tanks album come from there, and every individual: all 3 paradise fish, all 3 bristlenose plecos, my smiling acara cichlid, some corys, and BB the betta. On a budget, I have bought some schooling fish on sale at chain stores too
Old 02-08-2014, 07:43 AM   #8 
Cotton19

with further growth and research, turns out my baby KC is a girl, and now has 4 sisters in a sorority.
Old 02-15-2014, 01:15 PM   #9 
dramaqueen
Banned

Hello and welcome to the forum.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote