Originally Posted by Mister Sparkle
Eff second opinions (with all due respect)!
That's velvet, and it's progressed to the point that you need to act NOW!
Step one: water change!
Step two: Increase temps in the aquarium by approx. 1-degree per hour, until you have them around 85!
Step three: Lights OUT! This is a bugger that THRIVES on light. Blackout conditions, as much as possible!
Step four: Maracide and S.T.A.T. on that! I've heard Coppersafe works, too...but i have no experience with it.
Step five: something anti-bacterial, for secondary infections. Tetracycline is a good one.
Step on it! This one is about the worst I've ever seen. When it's all said and done, regardless of outcome, you ought to be able to sell that picture to an authority on fish-care as the new "textbook" example of velvet.
I agree, velvet most likely and great shot too......
I only treat by natural methods but due to the advanced state I would go with OTC medication as posted by MS.....
Water mold ever present in water-Saprolegnia a water mold often mistaken for fungus and most often affect immunocompromised fish (stress, poor water quality, over crowded etc) antibiotic make it worse, salt treatment and fixing the underline problems are most effective. Symptoms-wasting, lethargic, cottony white, gray and/or green on body and/or fins