Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-17-2014, 11:13 AM   #1 
Justinlee

breeding conditions

how long does the female take to get vertical lines on her body and how long do you need to condition a male betta to be ready to breed.
Justinlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 02:00 PM   #2 
snowflake311

It depends on the fish. The female will shows bars when she is ready and that can take days. She should never look stressed.

Conditioning is about getting your fish in top shape. Good food lots of water changes with out seeing the female. Keep them separate. When you feel your fish is ready then set up your spawning tank. I will normaly leave the female in a cup floating with the male allowed to swim around and make a nest. Once the males nest is a good size and the female is active but not stressed let her go. Keep an eye on them. They do fight a little and the female gets chasses and nipped but it's all part of the magic. As long as she is not showing stress bars you are fine. It's amazing what these females can put up with.
snowflake311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 12:12 AM   #3 
Justinlee

thanks alott.,i want to start breeding fighters as i already have 1 pair but its a white female,how do i see her strips to know if shes ready or not?.oh and i feed the fighters blood worms and flakes
Old 01-18-2014, 01:27 AM   #4 
amphirion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justinlee View Post
thanks alott.,i want to start breeding fighters as i already have 1 pair but its a white female,how do i see her strips to know if shes ready or not?.oh and i feed the fighters blood worms and flakes
same problem with cambodian females too. i guess you can figure out if they are receptive to breeding or not by the s-swim that they do in front of males.
amphirion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 05:49 PM   #5 
Justinlee

i released her today with the male fighter,they just seems to be like a stand off. they are looking at each other doing nothing for hours,at times the male will chase her,but idk if shes not interested
Old 01-19-2014, 12:30 PM   #6 
indjo
TFK Moderator

One should follow the other (follow the leader), either could take the lead but both should swim in an "S" fashion. Eventually the male may nip the female and send her to hiding. But she will either approach the male or vise versa and they play tag again . . . this should go on until they're ready to embrace.

If this isn't happening, separate and recondition.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote