Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-01-2010, 01:04 PM   #31 
hamfist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Sparkle View Post
My inclination would probably have been to lower the water level. In less than a foot of depth, I'd bet he would choose an area and "patrol" it.
I can't see the logic in this "guess" at all.

I keep/have kept bettas in 5 gal, 10 gal and 80 gal tanks. They have all appeared to be happy, healthy bettas. The betta in the big tank really seemed to enjoy his space, cruising around the whole tank every so often. That tank was 2 feet deep, and despite some "internet wisdom" that bettas prefer shallower tanks, that is not my experience. He loved it in there !!
Personally, I would not keep any betta-sized fish in anything smaller than a 5 gallon. I know that they can live to a ripe old age in a smaller environment, but that does not mean that the environment gives them optimum happiness. I like to give my fish a little space to exist in, thats all.
hamfist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 07:40 PM   #32 
Mister Sparkle

I don't see rapid and erratic constant motion as a symptom of "happiness." That's all.
Mister Sparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 11:15 PM   #33 
xxabc

For me, lack of motion seems to be the indication of lack of happiness/stress/etc. As well as color.
xxabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 12:34 AM   #34 
DanMarion

I keep my betta in a 10 gallon with 3 cories and 2 dwarf frogs. I had him in a 3 gallon previous to this one and a 1 gallon before that. He is much much more active in the bigger tank, and his fins are much showier, with more color and flair. (Granted, the filtration and heating is easier to maintain in a slightly bigger tank.) I am of the opinion that anything under about 5 gallons just doesn't give a betta room to THRIVE. Sure, they can survive, but are they happy?
DanMarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 03:51 AM   #35 
hamfist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Sparkle View Post
I don't see rapid and erratic constant motion as a symptom of "happiness." That's all.
I agree completely. My disagreement was with the assertion that lowering the water level would make the betta happy, and make it want to patrol a smaller area ... that's the bit that didn't seem logical at all.
hamfist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 12:26 PM   #36 
xxabc

It might have to do with them living in shallow waters over in Thailand. But those are the wild bettas, not domestiscated ones. I'm not sure how much instinct is able to breed out of them.
Old 05-02-2010, 02:50 PM   #37 
BerkB33

Thanks for the responses, you all. Regarding the betta that "sprinted" around the 80 gallon tank...I've got a CT that does the same thing in his 3 gallon! Cycled, filtered, and at 77 F. He's my avatar. He has SEEMED content for the year I've had him. As these guys have personalities (or is that OUR imagination?...food for another thread?) could it be "who they are?"
BerkB33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 02:56 PM   #38 
xxabc

Well doesn't your personality practically define you? So I would say yes. A betta's personality definitely says who they are.
Old 05-02-2010, 05:32 PM   #39 
bloo97

Mmm-Hmm! I agree. :P
bloo97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 02:55 PM   #40 
Mister Sparkle

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamfist View Post
I agree completely. My disagreement was with the assertion that lowering the water level would make the betta happy, and make it want to patrol a smaller area ... that's the bit that didn't seem logical at all.
My routine is to rule out possible reasons for unhappiness. If shallower water didn't help, you could rule out depth as a reason for stress.
Mister Sparkle is offline   Reply With Quote