Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-12-2014, 11:05 PM   #11 
DJH

I would think so, the current female is a beautiful blue and he is a lovely combination, so hopefully you will get a lot of blues to play with, you really should. All I will say is that I don't know where you got those two but I'm assuming it's from a store i.e. You don't know their genetic background, sometimes it's amazing what surprises can be revealed by recessive genes! But that is all part of the fun of being a breeder, the aim is for stable coloration in your spawn with perfect fins, it will take a few generations to get your line set up, but once you are their you will have some gorgeous fish to show/sell/share if you think I'm being vague here I am, I think you have an ideal image in mind, YES it is possible, but it might take some effort to get there :D good luck! I hope he makes a full recovery :)
DJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 02:32 PM   #12 
BettaBros

Thank you I have a super unrealistic dream. A DSDTCTPK is that even possible?? I'm think super long term for when I create that line. When I am older I think that is what I will shoot for.
BettaBros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 03:05 PM   #13 
isntanything

No EE?
isntanything is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 05:50 PM   #14 
DJH

DTCTPK is perfectly possible I think, The double tail kind of overlaps other tail types is my understanding, though if two double tails breed you might get some severely deformed fish (I have heard), so you would have to be vary careful when maintaining a line, it might be possible to have a two breeders lines, which create the desired effect when crossed, then you could in breed in the two lines, and the cross offspring would be suitable for show but not breeding (so they don't form bad offspring!). If that makes sense?

Sorry but I don't know what you mean by the DS part, have I read it wrong? I agree with isntanything, if you are going to set yourself a challenge, add the elephant ear, I've seen a few elephant ear crowntails (I think) but what I really want to see is the crowntail effect on the elephant ear! How cool would that be?

No dream is unrealistic, just some are more of a challenge! I have some wild ones too, though this forum doesn't seem to be home to many professional breeders (no offence I mean ones who are trying to achieve set goals with their variations) it wouldn't hurt to look at some more serious breeders, here's one, guys a genius, The link is to his tail genetics page (thought it would help you out!) but check the rest of his site, there's a page on the creation of dragonscale!

http://www.bettaterritory.nl/BT-AABtailtypegenetics.htm

There is also his forum which I think has some more serious breeders, worth a look :)
Old 01-14-2014, 05:22 AM   #15 
indjo
TFK Moderator

I think DS = dragon scale

+1 DJH on everything

Since modern forms prefers wide caudal spread and you will spend as much money and energy, if you can't find a CT female, cross to a HM or HMDT. If your goal is to create short finned CT, breed to a HMPK.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 06:11 AM   #16 
DJH

Oh dear, I cant believe I wrote about dragon scale and didn't even click that's what they meant haha Thanks indjo,

BettaBros You have set youself a fantastic challenge, I'm glad you can think in the long term, you will need to for this to come to fruition. You will have to carefully plan the crosses generation by generation before hand. A true dragon scale is achieved by breeding either two carriers, or two full dragonscales, oviously you will want this trait before introducing the double tail, because of the inherent risks of double tail crosses, which tend to produce crooked spines :)

indjo is right, I think if your goal is a plakat you want to be working with a plakat from the start, for DSDTCTPK the order I'd try to achieve would be:

PK > DSPK > CTDSPK > DTCTDSPK or PK > CTPK > DSCTPK > DTDSCTPK depending on when you can get the dragonscale and plakat :) (Ideally you could buy a DSPK, they are fairly common online now)

Now you know it may take some time and money, are you going to breed your current two for practice? :)
Old 01-18-2014, 10:11 PM   #17 
BettaBros

Yes I want to breed my current to for practice. I hope to have a better experience than my first go around which left me with 7 fry now. :/ I am hoping to start that las my next project. I feel it is entirely possible.
Old 01-19-2014, 07:34 AM   #18 
DJH

Excellent good luck, everything's possible! Has his popeye cleared up? I'm excited to see your offspring, I'm breeding a blue crown tail similar to yours with a blue female veil tale (its impossible to find females in the UK unless you are paying alot of money, there is also not much choice so I have to start with what I can!) in the weeks to come!
Old 01-19-2014, 10:58 AM   #19 
BettaBros

Unfortunately

No his popeye has not cleared up. He is 90% better behavior wise, but his popeye got worse then better then worse I'm hoping that it will clear up in the next day or two.
Old 01-19-2014, 07:02 PM   #20 
DJH

Poor little guy, hang in there!