Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-03-2010, 05:38 PM   #11 
Kittles

You made a lot of good decisions in regards to your fishkeeping, but unfortunately some poor information has tainted your experience. I wouldn't let it dissuade you from trying again, though.

First of all, most pet store employees don't really know what they're talking about. A heater is definitely required for keeping a healthy betta. After all, they are tropical and thrive most in temperatures from 74F - 80F degrees. Not only does a heater keep the temperature warm, but keeps it stable - also necessary for keeping your betta healthy. Temperature fluctuations can stress your fish and weaken their immune system.

Secondly, you shouldn't have to purchase your water. You can use water from your faucet and dechlorinate it with any conditioner. If your water is high in ammonia, you can buy Seachem Prime conditioner which will take care of that issue. If it contains metals, you might need to filter it. You should also be doing two water changes a week with a tank of that size. I'm not sure, but you might be able to pull of one 50%, and one 100%, instead of two 100%.

Third, it's good that you've purchased several types of food, but freeze dried blood worms should only be fed as a treat. Probably once a week, only. They have little nutritional value compared to the flakes or pellets and don't contribute much to their diet. Feeding a few pellets or flakes once or twice a day is normal, as is fasting one day of the week to prevent any constipation or bloating.

Lastly, your tank looks great and your next fish should live happily with all adjustments considered. I'd remove that plant, though, as it's not truly aquatic and find a pet store that has tanks of live plants kept underwater, rather than in tubes. Rotting leaves will only contribute to rising ammonia levels. Good luck with your next fish, and keep us posted on your progress.

Last edited by Kittles; 05-03-2010 at 05:41 PM.
Kittles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 06:30 PM   #12 
bettalover2033

my only advice that i can give at the moment since everyone here has answered almost all Questions, dont take advice from any clerk...they are very misleading
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 12:15 AM   #13 
Mister Sparkle

Quote:
Originally Posted by s3kshun62 View Post
Any harmfull effects that this plant can cause towards fish? I can see partially submerged for another creature habitat.
As I understand it, the roots can stand to be very heavily saturated, but the leaves are not designed to respirate beneath the surface. But I don't really know.
Mister Sparkle is offline   Reply With Quote