Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-03-2010, 11:15 AM   #1 
BettaOscar

What happened?

Hi. I wasn't sure where to post this. This is about my ADF..

I'm pretty sure he's dead (I think). The last 24 hours he started acting weird. Like turning over on his back and laying on his back. This morning my husband said his leg was stuck in the filter. That happened last night too.. I wonder if he broke his leg? Man..
We've had him for about a month. He was really long and skinny and ate good. Anyways, we never had an issue with the filter till now.

I feel bad.. After checking him out, it appears he has a tinge of blood near his foot.

Sorry for the ramble. But this isn't the normal lazy zen float.. Do frogs sleep upside down? Gosh.. I can't tell if he passed away or not. Sigh. I know I could poke him. But I have a weak tummy. I did try to google my question and couldn't find an answer.
BettaOscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 11:32 AM   #2 
BettaOscar

OK!! I just took him out and he's alive. But he was upside down again.. I'm gonna go out and buy him a small tank so I can keep an eye on him. Maybe he's just really tired after being stuck in the filter? HIs legs are moving just fine right now.

Sorry for my dramatic post. I'm just worried about him.
Old 05-03-2010, 12:56 PM   #3 
newfishmom

Good luck!
newfishmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 02:16 PM   #4 
BettaOscar

Thanks.. My walmart had NO tanks. I'll have my DH stop off at Petco to buy one after work. But I bought a pair of nylons to fit on the filter..

I put the frog back in the tank.. He's acting very strange (laying on his back again.). I hope he's just acting goofy. Like I said. Maybe he's very tired. We have no clue how long his leg was stuck in the filter. :(

I'm done stressing. If he dies, I know I tried to help the lil guy.
Old 05-03-2010, 07:47 PM   #5 
FuulieQ

I'm afraid being on his back a lot is definitely a bad sign. :c

I don't think that a broken foot would make him do that. There's got to be another problem. Maybe a bacterial infection of some kind. Can you post a photo of the red tinge you described?

I hope I'm wrong and he's fine. :c
FuulieQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 08:57 PM   #6 
BettaOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuulieQ View Post
I'm afraid being on his back a lot is definitely a bad sign. :c

I don't think that a broken foot would make him do that. There's got to be another problem. Maybe a bacterial infection of some kind. Can you post a photo of the red tinge you described?

I hope I'm wrong and he's fine. :c
He died... I tried everything I could to help him.. The red tinge was right near his foot. Here's another thing we noticed, The last couple weeks his skin turned white, almost milky. Not sure why?

Do I need to worry about my other ADF? My husband did buy a small hospital tank today.

I felt so bad. But there was nothing else I could;ve done.
Old 05-04-2010, 02:51 AM   #7 
Starbright

You've done the best you could do The same thing happened to my ADF except I put him in a hospital tank and when he died, he got a layer of white film all around him. I honestly think mine starved to death. ADF's should have a little pot-belly at all times (I think I read that online somewhere) and I thought mine would just eat the left over flakes.

My new ADF also went on his back, but was completely fine after I fed him freeze dried blood worms. (Maybe he was just tricking me so I'd feed him... ) lol jk.

Anyways, I don't think you'll need to worry about your other ADF. It sounds like you're doing everything right so far!
Starbright is offline   Reply With Quote