Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Meet the Betta Keepers
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-07-2014, 10:26 PM   #1 
Cari

Old betta keeper but starting anew! Review my care plan?

Hello everyone! I've owned bettas for most of my life. My first ones were my boys Blue and Magenta back when I was about 11 years old (dad who didn't know much about bettas put them in the same tank, byebye blue ). After that there was Gacktuar, Himynameisbob, Zakum, Musket, Vaporeon, Whiskers, and Captain America (the red, white and blue boy who is in my profile picture).

I confess I didn't understand anything about betta fish back then. Mine lived in 1-gallon tanks, no filter, no heater, with a water change every...two weeks or so? Now that I know more about this kind of fish, I feel terrible about it, but most of them did live 2-3 years each, surprisingly.

Anyway, I stopped getting bettas about two years ago because my last three boys- Vaporeon, Whiskers, and Cap- all died within 1-2 weeks after I bought them. They just kept getting sick and dying. I'd never had this problem before so I was pretty upset over it. I researched the diseases they had (fin rot and dropsy to my conclusion at the time), went out and bought all the proper meds, but there was no improvement, and eventually my poor boys died one after the other. I realized then that it couldn't have been a problem with them, but something I was doing wrong, so I threw out everything: food, tanks, gravel, decorations, all of it, and decided that if I was going to own bettas again, I was going to do research and get it right.

Well, here I am! I've done a lot of research and lurked around this site a lot as well, reading all the helpful guides, and I feel ready to start caring for bettas again. However, I'm being cautious this time. If I don't use what I learned from my past mistakes, it will feel like my last three boy's deaths meant nothing.

There are obviously a lot of knowledgeable people on this site, so I am going to post my "care plan" that I've devised and see what you guys have to say about it, like whether it can be improved or if I'm mistaken about something. Thank you tremendously in advance!

Cari's Betta Care Plan
1. Tank: No smaller than 2 gallons, placed in an area away from direct sunlight/drafts. I won't be using a filter.
2. Heating: Hydor mini heater set to 78 degrees.
3. Decorations: plenty of places to hide and plants (fake ones), they must all have smooth edges to prevent tearing any fins!
4. Water changing: 50% water change on Wednesdays, 100% on Sundays (and slowly acclimating betta to the new water over 15 minutes so it doesn't shock him!)
5. Buy conditioner/dechlorinator and FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS.
6. Buy water test kit (API master kit seems to be the best)
7. Feeding: high protein diet, feed once in the morning and once at night, adjust feeding over time based on various observations (poop amount, amount of uneaten food floating at the bottom, etc). Also vary it up once a week by feeding things like brine shrimp & bloodworms.
8. Exercise: flaring exercises once a day using a mirror.
9. Lighting: honestly I don't know how I'm going to do this yet, suggestions welcome.
10. Floating plant: hornwort looks to be the easiest to maintain, but I would have to put the tank in sunlight for around 15 minutes each day so I have to keep a close eye on the water temp.
11. NEVER use soap for cleaning, just hot water and vinegar if absolutely necessary.

That's what I have. I would love to hear the opinions of all the brilliant betta keepers I've seen while lurking around this site!

(Anyway, for those wondering, I did figure out the main reasons my boys had suddenly started dying. One, I would wash their tanks with soap, which I now know is extremely stupid. Two, at the exact time the illnesses began, my mother was diagnosed with breast cancer and had surgery to remove her ovaries, immediately beginning menopause. This may sound extremely odd, but trust me I'm going somewhere with it. Before then, our house was always at 72 degrees. When mom started having hot flashes, suddenly our house was always 68 degrees. I wish I'd known back then that bettas need the heat! A 4 degree drop in temperature definitely didn't help their health at all.)
Cari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 12:29 AM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

Hello and welcome to the forum. Your care plan sounds fine to me. I'm so sorry about your mom. I hope she's feeling better.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 12:45 AM   #3 
Cari

Thanks, and she is! Two years and no sign of cancer. The house is still at 68 all the time, but that's something we can live with.
Old 01-08-2014, 02:55 AM   #4 
Vounn

Hi welcome to the forum! For the lighting, may I suggest you to treat them as if they are living in the wilderness, no artificial lighting, regular timing of sunrise and sunset; or if you have artificial lighting over the tank, let it on for no more than 12 hours a day...just my presumption. Proper lighting is also needed if you keep some live plants inside the tank. Best of luck. And your profile pic is brilliant.
Vounn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 04:39 AM   #5 
Romad
TFK Moderator

Hello and welcome to the forum
Romad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 01:29 PM   #6 
Cari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vounn View Post
Hi welcome to the forum! For the lighting, may I suggest you to treat them as if they are living in the wilderness, no artificial lighting, regular timing of sunrise and sunset; or if you have artificial lighting over the tank, let it on for no more than 12 hours a day...just my presumption. Proper lighting is also needed if you keep some live plants inside the tank. Best of luck. And your profile pic is brilliant.
This will actually work for me, especially if I keep the tank in my bedroom, because my blinds are always open but there's not much direct sunlight, and I'm never in there at night so I don't have any artificial lights turned on. So my room is always sunny during the day and dark at night. Thanks!

Romad~ Thank you!
Old 01-15-2014, 02:31 AM   #7 
EvaJupiterSkies

Welcome to the forums! I will make a brief note with hornwort, I've found it sheds... a lot. The boys loved it, but it made the most horrendous mess of everything in the tanks, so that had to go. I've stuck with java moss for my semi-floating plant of doom choice, and it's pretty fantastic, and you really can't kill the stuff (you'd have to be trying so hard you weren't trying... I'm a black thumb and the stuff just thrives). It also works in most lighting situations (does great in just normal room light).
EvaJupiterSkies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 07:11 PM   #8 
jmday

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvaJupiterSkies View Post
Welcome to the forums! I will make a brief note with hornwort, I've found it sheds... a lot. The boys loved it, but it made the most horrendous mess of everything in the tanks, so that had to go. I've stuck with java moss for my semi-floating plant of doom choice, and it's pretty fantastic, and you really can't kill the stuff (you'd have to be trying so hard you weren't trying... I'm a black thumb and the stuff just thrives). It also works in most lighting situations (does great in just normal room light).
Apparently I have a blacker thumb than you... Mine lasted maybe a month... ! :O

Welcome Cari!!
jmday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 12:14 AM   #9 
Cari

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvaJupiterSkies View Post
I think I will definitely get some java moss then. Is it ok if the tank never receives any direct sunlight?
Old 01-29-2014, 03:12 AM   #10 
EvaJupiterSkies

None of my tanks receive direct sunlight, and the java moss just keeps going, and going, and going... for three months now! :) I will note my tanks are kept in the high traffic area of my apartment, so they do get quite a bit of light from various lamps and the kitchen, etc.
EvaJupiterSkies is offline   Reply With Quote