Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-03-2010, 12:04 AM   #1 
1fish2fish

Is it time to start worrying?

Ok so most of you know that my favorite boy, Fish, died last week. Well tonight I came back from being home for the weekend and one of my snails was dead in the same side of the tank. This made me realize that two other snails that I had put in that side of the tank had died also. This has all been within the last month or so. The ghost shrimp in there seem ok though.

My prams are normal. I did a water change last wednesday. Its a 10 gallon divided tank, planted, and cycled.

On the other half of the tank the snails seem fine. Blue Jeans looks a little pale which is why I'm starting to get worried. I'm gonna get a closer look at him tomorrow and if need be I'll take him out of the tank.

I'm going to take my water to get it tested at the LFS, just in case my API test is going bad. All my other fish seem fine.

What do y'all think? Should I be worried or could it just be a coincidence? I was hoping to put one of my new males in Fish's spot but I'm concerned about something happening. The only thing I can think of is that there is a plant in that side of the tank that is affecting the animals only on that side.. which sounds far fetched.

I'm really worried.. I don't want to lose anymore fish
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 12:16 AM   #2 
Sella

I doubt its the plants affecting anything. COuld the snails be bringing something in?
Sella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 12:22 AM   #3 
1fish2fish

Nope.. all my animals are quarantined for 3 weeks before being added to the tank. The snail that just died has been in that tank since I set it up 8 months ago.
Old 05-03-2010, 02:00 AM   #4 
xxabc

There could be a sudden change in your water. As in your actual tap water.

I wouldn't exactly nix the idea of the plant doing something. Nature can be funny, as we all know.
xxabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 02:01 AM   #5 
xxabc

Definitely be worried (but don't panic). Even if it is coincidence, you should be worried just for the sake of your dear fish. I hate leaving it up to luck, you know? It bothers me if I'm not doing something about it.
xxabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 08:39 AM   #6 
dramaqueen
Banned

I'm sorry about your snails.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 07:42 PM   #7 
FuulieQ

WHAT?! Fish died?!

He was my favorite out of your fish, too. :C (haha... I'm not creepy, really I'm not)

Poor Fish. :C Rest in peace.
FuulieQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 01:06 AM   #8 
1fish2fish

Yeah.. he died very unexpectedly last thursday morning.. I guess he was just old. He was perfectly fine then 10 minutes later I look back and he's gone :(
Old 05-04-2010, 11:06 AM   #9 
Oldfishlady

What kind of plant?
What are your water pram numbers: ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH
Did you make at least 50% water changes after the deaths?
Check your heater for stray currents or cracks, however, that would zap the shrimp too and they are all okay.......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 12:55 PM   #10 
1fish2fish

The plants I have in that side of the tank are dwarf sag, apon, amazon sword, a tiny bit of naja grass and some java moss. I did a water change after each snail died but didn't do one after Fish died because I had to leave for home.. I did do one when I got back but of course the snail was already dead by then.

The shrimp are fine though and all the animals on the other half of the divider are fine. Thats whats so confusing.