Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-04-2010, 07:13 PM   #1 
lastbook87

The Ugliest Fish in the World

Alrighty, well, I've ended up with another girl betta quite by accident. I ran by the fish section at Walmart to grab a few plants for my aquarium (a reward to myself for getting a paper done) and this poor girl was on her last legs. She was basically colorless--just shades of brown--and was floating almost sideways on the top of the cup, which was, of course, disgusting. I barely had time to set up my old half-gallon as a temporary solution and get her settled before I ran to class, and when I got back, she looked infinitely better. Two days later, she's still doing well, but she is, as the title suggests, the ugliest betta I've ever seen. She has some tints of turquoise on her fins and a little bit of iridescence that she didn't have when I got her, so I guess I'm just wondering... Any chance she's ever going to look significantly better than she does now? I hate to name her "Lumberpile" preemptively.

As soon as I move home (Saturday), she is going to be moved into a 2.5 gallon with a heater and filter, so I expect she will look at least a little better then. There were a few others I wish I could've gotten, including a crowntail, but I just don't have the space. He was pretty enough to possibly get picked up by someone, anyways, and this girl was toast.

lastbook87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 07:20 PM   #2 
Starbright

Oh wow... a brown betta o.o" I'm sure she'll color up!! At least her fins are in tact and nice! :D
Starbright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 07:21 PM   #3 
Jennyinurmouth

aweh, she is cute to me
Jennyinurmouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 07:26 PM   #4 
lastbook87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennyinurmouth View Post
aweh, she is cute to me
Haha, sorry, I didn't mean to imply that I think she's hideous. I mean, objectively, she kinda is, but I think she's adorable in a weird way. She's very active in her half-gallon, but likes to just sit and stare at me when I start talking.
Old 05-04-2010, 07:44 PM   #5 
Zenandra
Banned

does she have any yellow in her fins? She might be a variation of a pineapple. I've seen them before with brown bodies and yellow fins. She also may have some wild in her, they tend not to be as colorful... or with a good diet and clean water she might eventually develop some more color. THough I dont think she'll get much more colorful
Zenandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 07:59 PM   #6 
newfishmom

Ohhhhhh, name her Sparrow!
newfishmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 08:09 PM   #7 
lastbook87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenandra View Post
does she have any yellow in her fins? She might be a variation of a pineapple. I've seen them before with brown bodies and yellow fins. She also may have some wild in her, they tend not to be as colorful... or with a good diet and clean water she might eventually develop some more color. THough I dont think she'll get much more colorful
Nope, no yellow--just a little bit of what looks like pale bluish-gray. And I was thinking she might have some wild or something else in her. You can't tell so much in the picture I posted because she's turning away, but she's very long and slender compared to my other girl.

And, aw, I really like the name "Sparrow" for her! Never would have thought of it myself, but it's very cute and very appropriate. If she doesn't color up any more in the next few days, Sparrow she shall be!
Old 05-04-2010, 08:13 PM   #8 
BettaxFishxCrazy

Aww she's so cute! It looks like he color is called Chocolate. Here's a link you can look at. It has a whole list of colors:http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=29868

Last edited by BettaxFishxCrazy; 05-04-2010 at 08:16 PM.
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 08:16 PM   #9 
BettaSquirt

Shes cute :D (But not really digging the color either ;]) But I tend not to judge a betta on their color or fins, I just judge them on their personality. Like Squirt, he's a mutt from Petco, multi-colored, just a plain veiltail, But he has the most amazing personality out of all bettas :D (in my point of view) Hehehe, Its so funny how he adores being pet by my finger. :] Hopefully she'll get a little color in her! Good luck with her, also :D
BettaSquirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 08:59 PM   #10 
Mister Sparkle

That body shape doesn't strike me as B. splendens. Perhaps it could be mixed with a spendens, but the lack of good color and the body shape remind me a little bit of B. pugnax.
Mister Sparkle is offline   Reply With Quote